Universal Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have actually met her while doing business at their location. More than once in fact. Quite helpful and always had a smile on her face. BTW, I doubt she is allergic to cats as she has her own at home.

w0fg

PRO93BOB said:
Has anyone called to order and talked to a lady Cathy, she seemed to be really sarcastic
not good if you want to keep customers. if she hates her job, "quit".

just my 2 cents

Some customers are so annoying they're not worth keeping. Sorry, but the old "the customer is always right" is BS. Find and read the comic strip "Retail".

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
In my experience when otherwise often pleasent customer-facing employees are accused of being a snot, its because the person complaining was being a major pain or had confused the rep. In all cases it is usually due to poor communication coming from the customer regarding their intent or what questions they want ansewred. Maybe she thought she had answsered your question? In any event, everyone is entitled to a bad day. Who knows. Women are emotional creatures, things affect them in silly ways. ;)

UR has been a great asset to all types of radio enthusiests. I wouldnt let a poor attitude cause you to post about it online unless it was a repeat problem or they had done something fundamentally wrong with your $ or equipment and refuse to rectify the situation. If it affects you enough to post about it, you should talk to her boss, or more importantly "vote with your wallet." Many companies have felt the sting of customers doing just that because they had let the front-lines deteriorate. However, it seems that UR and the other major and even minor players in the scanner/ham/radio enthusiest wholesale/retail industry are top-notch, friendly, and suprisingly knowledgeable. If you need proof, check the eHam.com reviews.

hoser147

Just looking thru this thread most have been pleased with the service, from Universal, Im sure it was just an Isolated type deal. Best of Luck and Good Scannin.........Hoser

w2txb

Whenever I have done business with them, they have all been very friendly, helpful, and up to speed on what they are selling.

The cats are cool, too!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
mike_s104 said:
I've used the off and on for about 10+ years without ever having an issue. before the internet, I'd call in order and don't remember anything negative. I've always had good service and prices from them.

She may have forgotten to take her Allegra or Claritin that day.

I have to mention this since I talked to Cathy this afternoon. She was a little rude and short. She actually hung up on me. I have to add, she was very helpful and did exactly what I needed done. This might just be the way she is or is a little stressed out. In any case, I'm going to continue ordering from them.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mike_s104 said:
I have to mention this since I talked to Cathy this afternoon. She was a little rude and short. She actually hung up on me.

Hum...has anyone else noticed that it's been one month since the last crabby espisode? ;)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
KevinGC said:
That's not good. I plan on going there Saturday morning to pick up an FT-60R radio. I wonder if she works on Saturdays? lol

Kathy (looks harmless)

Last edited:

scannerpro

mike_s104 said:
Yeah, I guess it has. We all should collect some money to send her flowers and some Midol.

I sent a large package too her of that! I sent 100 packages, and she does look harmless in that picture but behind the phone is a whole diff. story!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I have purchased a number of items from Universal over the years, and I've never had a single problem. Everyone knows that we have a great partnership with scannermaster, but for things that scannermaster doesn't carry I've purchased from Universal and been very pleased.

I've purchased a couple multi-couplers from them, an HF Antenna, and an NCS-3230 - and they've shipped everything perfectly, well boxed, and on time.

Let me make this clear, RadioReference.com has no partnership with Universal Radio, and I've never actually spoken with them other than to place my order... but I wholeheartedly recommend Universal Radio.

Plus, since I was a kid I would get their catalog and absolutely drool over the equipment... many of you know me as a scanner listener, but my secret passion is HF UTE listening... and Universal has always been a good supplier of HF Radio Stuff.

nexus

Add me to the list of satisfied customers too. I've bought several ham radio related items from them, and will continue to buy from them. I've never spoken to them on the phone, always been internet orders, but I've always had the items shipped FAST FAST FAST. I refered a friend to them, and he bought one of their used Yaesu FT-1000MP's and the guy he talked to there threw in some extras and kept the cost low. He was very pleased with their service. Every time I want or need something new, Universal Radio is usually the first place I go to mainly because I like how they display all of the photos.

KevinGC

Nexus,
How do you like your FT-60R?
Any good recommendations for a mag mount mobile ant?
Plan on getting radio, AA pack, DC cord, mobile antenna.
Any other must haves?

n2mdk

KevinGC said:
Nexus,
How do you like your FT-60R?
Any good recommendations for a mag mount mobile ant?
Plan on getting radio, AA pack, DC cord, mobile antenna.
Any other must haves?

There are 2 things I recommend, 1 is the Diamond SRH77CA antenna for portable use. 2 is a rapid charger the Yaesu one is too expensive but the Arrowmax one is downright inexpensive and works well http://www.arrowmax.com/product_info.php?products_id=167

KevinGC

Thanks for the recommendations. I was kinda thinking of getting a different duck antenna since some of the reviews downplay the duck that comes with it. A lot of folks recommend getting an sma to bnc adapter and keeping it mounted on the radio permanently since SMA tends to be weak. So, figured on getting a BNC type duckie, same with mag mount, possibly using a short pigtail cable between radio and mag mount connector to relieve stress. So the Arrowmax VAC-800B charger will work with the FT-60R?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
blantonl said:
Folks,

I have purchased a number of items from Universal over the years, and I've never had a single problem. Everyone knows that we have a great partnership with scannermaster, but for things that scannermaster doesn't carry I've purchased from Universal and been very pleased.

I've purchased a couple multi-couplers from them, an HF Antenna, and an NCS-3230 - and they've shipped everything perfectly, well boxed, and on time.

Let me make this clear, RadioReference.com has no partnership with Universal Radio, and I've never actually spoken with them other than to place my order... but I wholeheartedly recommend Universal Radio.

Plus, since I was a kid I would get their catalog and absolutely drool over the equipment... many of you know me as a scanner listener, but my secret passion is HF UTE listening... and Universal has always been a good supplier of HF Radio Stuff.

I agree...I used to get their catalogs when I was a kid and was in heaven :) I would recommend them as well.

KevinGC

FWIW, I passed with flying colors. 100%.
Ran over to Universal Radio and picked up the FT-60R, a mag mount mobile antenna (SMA MR77S), better duckie ((SRH77CA), AA pack, and 12vDC cord.
Have painstakingly programmed in a few repeaters (a bit of a learning curve here).
Now just anxiously awaiting the listing in the FFC ULS database.
Hopefully will soon ad a sig here on the forums with my callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.