Universal Studios Florida TRBO & Simplex Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Universal Studios Florida security and safety and health services are now carrying Motorola 900mhz TRBO portable radios instead of the 900mhz MTS2000 radios they were carrying before. There is no radio traffic on talkgroups 0144, 1712, 1648 and 3248 and there was a LOT of traffic a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if they are using a new TRBO system for this, or if they have just migrated the new radios onto new talkgroups on the current type II system?

Also, the park utilizes several simplex frequencies on 900mhz for operations in different areas, as evidenced by no talk-permit tone when they PTT and no repeater tail sound when using the radios. The display radios also display the "direct" symbol on these channels. Does anyone know any of these frequencies?

Thanks for any info.

-J

RyanRox099

Premium Subscriber
I will look into this next time I am in o-town. They liked that Motorola system, I cant see them moving everything over. :confused:

james32746

Premium Subscriber
I believe they have switched to MotoTRBO, though the radios are backwards compatible with their old system. If that is true then you will need to lug a copy of DSD with you if you want to monitor (though conventionally) provided they did not turn on the voice privacy option.

Andrew

I know that the following non-trunked freq. are in use:
461.7125 D051 JAWS
461.8875 D051 REVENGE OF THE MUMMY
462.0125 D051 DISASTER
464.5000 D115 IOA TRADING CO. (GIFT SHOP)

But 900MHz non-trunked or simplex....I never thought of that! Been listening for years to the system and never once thought about simplex on the 900 freq.

I am planning to go over to Universal on Tuesday. I will run UniTrunker on the TRS and scan the 900MHz freq. in conventional mode.

I'll report back on what I find.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Was there today and saw many TRBO radios as well as an mtx9250, a CP110 and some sort of Jedi portable.

Didn't have a radio with me to monitor.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
If I know Universal Studios and their need in communications I wanna say they switched over to Motorola Mototrbo only way I know this, I use to work there.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
Universal Studios

Plans are to move Security to some TRBO trunked channels, then upgrade the whole system and migrate everything in the future. The Smartnet system is still alive, well, and busy. The TRBO radios are Smartnet compatible. Most of the rest of the trunked fleet are MTX9250/950 portables. Most of the MTS2000/MTX type are gone, but some are still in use, and occasionally, you will come across a GTX portable.

Larry

Justin

So any information on this TRBO system?

Does anyone have information on this TRBO system? Frequencies? Talkgroup info? How to monitor it? There is not a new FCC license that I can find.

-J

alexmahoney

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone have information on this TRBO system? Frequencies? Talkgroup info? How to monitor it? There is not a new FCC license that I can find.

-J

Judging from my vacation over there, I would say that i am 100% positive that they are NOT encrypted. I was there june 6th thru june 21 and there were radios ranging from cp's to mototrbo clear and eveything in between.

Most of the individual shows as well as some security officers did NOT, i repeat, did NOT have trbo radios on them.

Take this as you will but it is first hand accountability

KF4ZMB

Premium Subscriber
I know that the following non-trunked freq. are in use:
461.7125 D051 JAWS
461.8875 D051 REVENGE OF THE MUMMY
462.0125 D051 DISASTER
464.5000 D115 IOA TRADING CO. (GIFT SHOP)

But 900MHz non-trunked or simplex....I never thought of that! Been listening for years to the system and never once thought about simplex on the 900 freq.

I am planning to go over to Universal on Tuesday. I will run UniTrunker on the TRS and scan the 900MHz freq. in conventional mode.

I'll report back on what I find.

I used to live five minutes walk north of Universal when I lived in Orlando, so I always enjoyed monitoring them. I was there the week of June 21st and also noticed that the security and health services talkgroups were dead.

Specifically in regards to your post above, do you know what the former Jaws frequency might be being used for now, if at all, since Jaws is closed now?

SeaWorld Orlando is now using TRBO as well, but that is a different topic for a different place I guess.

Christian KF4ZMB

Last edited:

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
USF is currently running a Capacity Plus system alongside some legacy Smartnet. The Smartnet talkgroups have been duplicated on the Capacity Plus system so that as funds become available to replace radios, user groups will migrate over. Eventually, the whole system will be Capacity Plus.

BTW, Sea World is building out an IP Site Connect system to link all the Sea World parks.

Larry

alexmahoney

Banned
But is universal encrypted or not?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KF4ZMB

Premium Subscriber
USF is currently running a Capacity Plus system alongside some legacy Smartnet. The Smartnet talkgroups have been duplicated on the Capacity Plus system so that as funds become available to replace radios, user groups will migrate over. Eventually, the whole system will be Capacity Plus.

BTW, Sea World is building out an IP Site Connect system to link all the Sea World parks.

Larry

Thanks for the update Larry! During my most recent visit to SeaWorld Orlando my wife got a cut and had to go to First Aid, so I got to see, and hear, the new radios up close. The audio, on the new TRBO system, was amazing. Several years back I dispatched part time at Discovery Cove (on the old 900 MHz of course) and although the older system audio was good the new system sounds a lot better. The IP Site Connect System also sounds neat.

Universal Orlando has a lot of talkgroups, as I am sure you are aware, on the Smartnet system (more than have been IDed in the Database on this site), so I would assume it will take some time to get everyone switched over (due to the costs of the new radios if nothing else).

Again, thanks for the updates!

Christian KF4ZMB

alexmahoney

Banned
I used to live five minutes walk north of Universal when I lived in Orlando, so I always enjoyed monitoring them. I was there the week of June 21st and also noticed that the security and health services talkgroups were dead.

Specifically in regards to your post above, do you know what the former Jaws frequency might be being used for now, if at all, since Jaws is closed now?

SeaWorld Orlando is now using TRBO as well, but that is a different topic for a different place I guess.

Christian KF4ZMB

Since was just at Universal June 6th-june 22nd, it might be noted that I saw a wide variety of radios being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.