University of Chicago helicopter (UCAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Just learned from a NW Indiana firefighter that UCAN has their own channel for air to ground LZ Ops. Have not been able to locate any info. If someone can direct me to the file path and system I would appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
In Illinois, helo-to-ground LZ comms take place on common interop channels like IREACH (155.055) and the various colored fireground channels (FG Red, FG White, FG Blue, etc.). The channels used would need to be ones that are commonly found in local public safety radios. I would start your search by listening to common interop channels used in NW Indiana.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Crap, I had FG channels off. I'll try next time I hear UCAN is coming. In Indiana we have 2 options: Lake County Public Safety (Fire Ops channels) and Hoosier Safe-T net (scroll down to Regional Mutual Aid) select region A-MA 1-4. I think many in the Chicago downtown and south would be able to pick up comms via Lake County (IN) simulcast

Last edited:

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I also see that talkgroup 10682 on the Hoosier SAFE-T system is shown as air medical helicopters "Flightwatch". I don't know just how that is used (safety of flight / flight following?). Any chance that your firefighter contact might be able to provide any other information? Have you tried performing a Google search?

Good luck, and please let us know what you find!

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
DO have that contact but he's a "tech moron". Wish I could get ahold of his portable. If I find it, will lets yous guys (Chicago accent implied) know.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Been hearing calls for UCAN coming to NW Indiana since latest post. I would think that chopper and crew are the most technically advanced in the metro area. However, UCAN does not have the ability to properly communicate with ground crews here. They'll use their private or direct channel, or fireground white which does not always work. We do have a channel similar to IFERN called A-MA (Regional Mutual Aid, region A, on Safe-T network) that covers a 6 county area. Other choppers, Med Flight and Lutheran Air have no problems talking to ground crews on the A-MA channels. I think they (UCAN) are lagging in this area (communications) and hope a major medical facility would provide the helo's with radio's need for the Tri State area they cover. It's one badass helicopter!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.