University of Georgia Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

destahn

Premium Subscriber
UGA rebanded the Motorola Type II trunked system this morning, and are currently in the process of working out some problems. New freqs are 15 MHz below old ones...851.01250, 851.0500, 851.4375, 851.51250, 851.8250 (CC), 852.1000, 852.4750. During reband, UGA PD using Mutual Aid 1 (866.0125).

TGIDs appear to be the same. Won't know for certain until the system is up in a stable mode and have time to monitor.

destahn

Premium Subscriber
Update

Looks like they had to fall back and punt. They are back on the pre-rebanded frequencies due to some undetermined problem.

destahn

Premium Subscriber
No, probably not. They give out a good bit of student info and since they are in the market for a P25 system (or even perhaps piggybacking off the Walton County system) I do not want to give them any additional reasons to encrypt all traffic.

Baley

Ok, Thanks.
My son is on the UGA Police Force. I just wanted to hear what was going on while he was working, but I totally understand your position.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
They currently have no plans of purchasing any new system with the massive budget cuts. I have a good contact there and the only thing they have done is program in the county police talk groups to their officers radios.
Ive heard Athens-Clarke has discussed a new digital system but funding is years away at this point.
The Walton system isnt within range of a portable for TX so they would have to build another tower in Athens if they wanted to do this.

nunyax

They currently have no plans of purchasing any new system with the massive budget cuts. I have a good contact there and the only thing they have done is program in the county police talk groups to their officers radios.
Ive heard Athens-Clarke has discussed a new digital system but funding is years away at this point.
The Walton system isnt within range of a portable for TX so they would have to build another tower in Athens if they wanted to do this.

Actually, Walton's 4-site system covers a very wide area. Since Walton EMC is a partner on the system it covers their 10-county service area (mostly Walton, Oconee, Morgan and Gwinnett but also parts of Clarke, DeKalb, Rockdale, Barrow, Greene and Newton counties. When Walton EMC personnel were doing range testing on the DTRS back in 2008 I heard them from all of these counties using a portable radio.

As far as I know, Walton ambulances do not have mobile radios installed but instead rely on the portable radios carried by the personnel. They call out to dispatch when they arrive at both hospitals in Athens and are also heard from hospitals in Rockdale, Newton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Barrow.

Athens-Clarke has a proposed project on their 2011 SPLOST for a new digital radio system ($15 million; 3 sites) but the SPLOST won't be finalized until this summer.

SPLOST Information:
SPLOST 2011 Committee Submits List of Candidate Projects to Mayor & Commission - No later than May 3, 2010
Mayor & Commission Approves Final List of SPLOST 2011 Projects - July 6, 2010
SPLOST 2011 Referendum - November 2, 2010

Attachments

• emc.JPG
    emc.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 401

destahn

Premium Subscriber
Reband update

The rebanding was not successful, so they had to punt and go back to the original, non-rebanded freqs.

destahn

Premium Subscriber
I know that UGA is sending a group of folks up to the OARS (Oconee Areawide Radio System) meeting in Walton County in a few weeks. So, at least they are looking into it.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I dont see the need for it. UGA has a system that works and their system covers the areas they use of the county rather well.
ACCPD cant says they cant afford to fill all the open positions, install computers in all the patrol cars, or even install mobile radios in the patrol cars.
The county jail is falling apart and they are in desperate need of a new one.
A new radio system in Athens come after all of these. Athens looses officers to metro Atlanta counties every year due to the low pay. Athens far more serious problems than getting a new radio system in my book. I worked there and the radio system they have now is not in need of replacement.

nunyax

I dont see the need for it. UGA has a system that works and their system covers the areas they use of the county rather well.
ACCPD cant says they cant afford to fill all the open positions, install computers in all the patrol cars, or even install mobile radios in the patrol cars.
The county jail is falling apart and they are in desperate need of a new one.
A new radio system in Athens come after all of these. Athens looses officers to metro Atlanta counties every year due to the low pay. Athens far more serious problems than getting a new radio system in my book. I worked there and the radio system they have now is not in need of replacement.

More SPLOST 2011 proposed projects:
Correctional Institution Renovations & Improvements - $2 million - Dept. of Corrections
Upgrade Data Connectivity of Mobile Laptops - $655,000 - ACCPD
Additional Mobile Laptops - $515,000 - ACCPD
plus some other items on the ACCPD wishlist. And there is a $67 million jail expansion in the works.

Last edited:

nunyax

Proposed....i'll believe it when I see it.

The jail expansion will most likely happen, it's just a matter of finalizing the funding source:

"The Clarke County Sheriff's Office will build two temporary dormitories next year to house 144 inmates and are planning to rebuild and expand the 30-year-old jail. The $67 million project will be in the ballot in November for voters to approve as part of an eight-year, $170 million extension of a 1 percent sales tax for capital projects. If voters do not approve the list of SPLOST projects, the jail expansion likely is to be funded with a property tax hike." Link

As for the rest, we'll know after July 6th if they will be on the ballot. Athens approved their last SPLOST in 2004 2-to-1 but with today's economy it might be a tougher sell this fall.

nunyax

I know that UGA is sending a group of folks up to the OARS (Oconee Areawide Radio System) meeting in Walton County in a few weeks. So, at least they are looking into it.

Did anything ever develop with this?

As for their rebanding, looks like they received another extension this month with a new deadline of 12/3/2010

roadranger

I'm not so sure...

...that UGA is close enough to use Walton's system. Not to argue in any way. Looks like it might work. I dunno, I do not want to reprogram the scanner for these changes, lazy I guess. I don't listen to them as much as I do ACCPD/FD.

nunyax

Athens-Clarke SPLOST

The county jail is falling apart and they are in desperate need of a new one. .
Proposed....i'll believe it when I see it.

Athens-Clarke County: Sales tax extension approved

Here comes the new jail and radio system...

Status
Not open for further replies.