Unknowen xmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hearing something interesting this morning at 7:30am.

154.845 is used by Wilkes Barre police as a repeater output. As I write this a BOOMING transmission using P-25 digital. The base unit identifies as "1200" and there is lots of talk about mileage readings..This P25 comms is coming through a repeater. Either this is something new or "ducting"

Anyone else hearing this?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I missed that one but Luzerne County has been having a ton of problems with out of area transmissions again the last few weeks. It's been happening again pretty regularly on Zone A and EMA once again. I believe the last time it happened I nailed the Zone A down to an area in Southern Virginia but I'm not sure if it's the same place coming in again but I'm guessing it is.
If that was the only issue they have it wouldn't be bad but we all know that's not the case. We were better off with our local/regional dispatch centers before being forced over to the 911 center.

talviar

Been getting a lot of VHF high band skip out in Western PA the last few days. Drawback to the sunspot cycle, weather, and other issues that affect skip.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I never really heard it this much over the Summer before. Usually it's over the Winter when we get crushed with it the most. Seems like it's been an almost nightly thing for the last few weeks again though.

kh11

Premium Subscriber
From the Wiki:
"The most common type of tropospheric ducting to impact scanner hobbyists and amateur radio operators results from a low-level temperature inversion. A low-level temperature inversion is a phenomena in which the temperature in the lower portion of the atmosphere, near the earth's surface, is considerably cooler than a layer further up in the atmosphere. This causes signals to be refracted thus resulting in a tunneling or ducting of the signals. Low-level temperature inversions can occur any time of the year but are often most dramatic (producing the most significant tropospheric ducting events) during the summer months."

Status
Not open for further replies.