Unknown channel in Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sac Metro Fire responded to an incident this morning. They had been assigned a regular TAC channel (either A6 or A7). Once at the scene, it was determined that a couple of engines could handle the situation and they were releasing the TAC channel. It also said that crews on the scene would be using "DIRECT 16" for a short time. Considering all the TGs and frequencies I monitor here, it's amazing I just didn't pick them up (I realize they could be transmitting at a very low power).

So my question is; what frequency or TG is "direct 16"?

pfish

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the frequency but I do know it's an 800MHz non-trunked channel. We have a few over here but they're never used.

Shooting in the dark, try these:

Sac916

Sac Metro Fire responded to an incident this morning. They had been assigned a regular TAC channel (either A6 or A7). Once at the scene, it was determined that a couple of engines could handle the situation and they were releasing the TAC channel. It also said that crews on the scene would be using "DIRECT 16" for a short time. Considering all the TGs and frequencies I monitor here, it's amazing I just didn't pick them up (I realize they could be transmitting at a very low power).

So my question is; what frequency or TG is "direct 16"?

Direct 16 is in fact an 800MHz freq - Within the SRRCS many entities have "direct" channels programmed in their radios. It's very difficult to find any FCC data on these freqs. I'm not well educated on how FCC runs their business but there are several depertments that utilize one to six 800MHz "direct" (simplex) freqs and I could never find any licensee data. Most of these channels have the option to run through a repeater or simplex via simple keypad commands on the portable/mobile radio. I have been able to reach 3 to 5 miles in simplex mode.

Was the fire in the Rancho Murieta area? I know due to coverage issues they utilize direct channels on assignments that require coordination.

cousinkix1953

Some FDs still use 1 watt walkie-talkies on 154.830.

Sounds like they might have a new TGID on the 867 mhz band. Maybe they are using their repeater inputs exactly 45 mhz down the band on 822 mhz. Try both ranges! You can find a new fire dept. TGID if your trunked system is set in the "OPEN" mode. The closed mode is just like a CTCSS or DC tone and locks out the junk (garbage trucks etc) which you don't wanna hear during the next big fire.

Switching between the open and closed modes on my radio shack scanners is easy. Repating these steps will reverse your settings.

Press:

Manual
Select a trunked channel
Function
Delay

Scanman6

Direct 16 traffic

Hi gmclam,

You incident was dispatched at 0701 to the Safeway Meat Department at 3320 Arden Way. Structure assignment: Bat 7, BC7, BC5, ENGINE 106, TRUCK 106, ENGINE 110, MEDIC 110, ENGINE 105, HAZMAT 109, METRO AC. 24 OPS, 24 SAFETY. Ops on A7. B7 established Watt command and units positioned at the rear and side of the structure investigating reports of light smoke and evacuations. At 0708 Interior Group transmitted brocken and B7 advised to move to Direct-16. It has been my experience that they move to Dir16 as radios operating on the Fcom TG's can't penitrate heavy concrete structures. This seemed to be the case. I've never heard comms on Dir16. I've heard that it's a digital channel. Someone gave me a freq of 868.9875. I've not been near enough to an incident where this channel has been used to hear for sure, but I seem to remember, Some months ago when fire responded to a call at Sac Bee, that the freq hung up my BC246 like digital transmissions do. My BCD396 couldn't decode it either. But , as I say, I've not been close enough to do some snooping. There was a call at Sears/Arden where they went to Dir16 as Interior checked out smoke from an elevator this was done for the above reason. I kinda gave up, but still have the question in the back of my mind. Hope this helps. I also believe that there are other threads that have touched on this question.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
I've heard before direct 16 was the 800 firemars freq. Try that too

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!

Hi gmclam,
You incident was dispatched at 0701 to the Safeway Meat Department at 3320 Arden Way. .... Ops on A7. .... At 0708 Interior Group transmitted brocken and B7 advised to move to Direct-16.
YUP! This was the call. I hear so many every day I could not remember the specific details of this one, other than everything moved to direct 16 and I didn't know where or if I could pick that up.

It has been my experience that they move to Dir16 as radios operating on the Fcom TG's can't penitrate heavy concrete structures. This seemed to be the case. I've never heard comms on Dir16. I've heard that it's a digital channel. Someone gave me a freq of 868.9875.
Interesting. I actually have that frequency programmed, but named "Firemars 2". And I do believe I've picked up digital on that frequency, not analog voice.

I've not been near enough to an incident where this channel has been used to hear for sure, but I seem to remember, Some months ago when fire responded to a call at Sac Bee, that the freq hung up my BC246 like digital transmissions do. My BCD396 couldn't decode it either. But , as I say, I've not been close enough to do some snooping. There was a call at Sears/Arden where they went to Dir16 as Interior checked out smoke from an elevator this was done for the above reason. I kinda gave up, but still have the question in the back of my mind. Hope this helps. I also believe that there are other threads that have touched on this question.
Sure does. Thank you very much.

pfish said:
Shooting in the dark, try these:
I did not have these programmed, but will soon. Thank you as well.

Scanman6

Recording.

I know what you mean. I wouldn't have been able to relate that much detail if not for my recordings. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the call, but I generally can find what I'm after with a bit of searching.
Happy Scanning

clanusb

i dont believe that direct 15 or 16 are digital.
1) although the system is capable of digital, the mts2000 radios currently used are not.
2) i did a ride along, and brought my scanner along, i was able to pick up D15 and D16. they are "line of Sight" channels, meaning that if your antenna isn't within good distance, your not gonna be able to pick it up.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I had direct 15 and 16 programmed in my radios at one time. I will need to go back and check my programming logs when I get off work and I can confirm the frequencies. They are simplex as far as fires uses go. I also have the DCS tones for them. I got them from Close Call off a Metro Fire MTS-2000 at station 21 several years ago. It is possible that the frequencies for the direct channels could be different in each zone of the radios.

kma371

QRT
I also have these from a srrcs radio
868.7000 156.7
868.7250 156.7
866.1875 156.7
866.2125 156.7
866.5000 156.7
868.5250 156.7

dont know their actual use though

Scanman6

Tg 59216

I have a question about this channel. I just heard it on Site 1 of the SRRCS. I've seen this before and wonder if it ish't some form of direct 16. . It's 59xxx, would suggest fire. It's data (sounds like modem traffic). My 396 doesn't decode it. and now that I hear it again, I remember that this is what was hanging up my scanners and deleted the channel. The xxx16 would seem to fit the name, but I'm just guessing. Whatever it is, I'm not sure I'd be able to decode it anyway. Thanks to anywone and everyone.

Sac916

I have a question about this channel. I just heard it on Site 1 of the SRRCS. I've seen this before and wonder if it ish't some form of direct 16. . It's 59xxx, would suggest fire. It's data (sounds like modem traffic). My 396 doesn't decode it. and now that I hear it again, I remember that this is what was hanging up my scanners and deleted the channel. The xxx16 would seem to fit the name, but I'm just guessing. Whatever it is, I'm not sure I'd be able to decode it anyway. Thanks to anywone and everyone.

I've heard this and have locked it out myself.
The database shows as SIRENS Sirens within Sacramento City Limits.

I have always assumed this was either city Fire (pull) alarms located at various street corners.

selgaran

I've heard this and have locked it out myself.
The database shows as SIRENS Sirens within Sacramento City Limits.

I have always assumed this was either city Fire (pull) alarms located at various street corners.

I believe that is for all the "run for your lives, the levee has failed" sirens, that were also part of the "run for your lives, Rancho Seco is about to go poof!" siren system, and are left over from the "run for your lives, the ruskies are about to drop a bomb on your heads" days.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I was able to locate one of my lists of simplex frequencies and I show

Simplex Tac 1 868.7000
Simplex Tac 2 868.7250
Simplex Tac 3 866.1875
Simplex Tac 4 866.2125
Simplex Tac 5 866.5000 - Fire Direct 15
Simplex Tac 6 868.5250 - Fire Direct 16

I was not able to locate the tone codes but they should be DCS tones.

I now have these programmed in my 396 and the next time I am at a call with one of the direct channels in use I will search for the DCS.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
I was able to locate one of my lists of simplex frequencies and I show

Simplex Tac 1 868.7000
Simplex Tac 2 868.7250
Simplex Tac 3 866.1875
Simplex Tac 4 866.2125
Simplex Tac 5 866.5000 - Fire Direct 15
Simplex Tac 6 868.5250 - Fire Direct 16

I was not able to locate the tone codes but they should be DCS tones.

I now have these programmed in my 396 and the next time I am at a call with one of the direct channels in use I will search for the DCS.

These are what I posted a few posts back.

Channel names are ST 1 - ST 6 on the radios (portables at least) and are 156.7PL confirmed

UPdated DB

Last edited:

Sac916

These are what I posted a few posts back.

Channel names are ST 1 - ST 6 on the radios (portables at least) and are 156.7PL confirmed

UPdated DB

Also these are used by multiple public safety entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.