Unknown Customs Call Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyblues

Heard this morning on 166.4375 (100.0) Omaha ?? working Charlie 100 "On New York", requesting Charlie 100 pass along a sitrep for them to "Tomahawk" Never heard the Tomahawk call sign before, a Google search didn't turn up anything. I've herd the base on Long Island referred to as "Applepie" before, I'm kind of thinking that "Tomahawk" might be the Base in upstate NY.

Squad10

The times that I've heard US Customs use a Tomahawk callign, it indicated a drug interdiction operations center or command post. Never heard it enough times to feel confident that it was static or itinerant in nature.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
kennyblues are you located in MA? I heard the same thing today and I am located in NYC (and pretty sure they were coming in on NY repeater).

I wonder if 165.2375 analog is part of a larger network, if you are in MA and hearing the same thing, it must be quite a repeater network!

Food for thought, 169.450 NAC 301 is NET 2 and I have heard mostly New Jersey units operate.

kennyblues

The Aircraft, Omaha ?? was up on the input to the 165.2375 NET 1 Nationwide repeater. If the aircraft has sufficient altitude, they can be heard over a wide area, He didn't trip the local, Boston area repeater. Units still have the ability to broadcast analog or digital. I've heard that they now have aircraft stationed up in the Northern Upstate New York area(I forget the name of the airbase/airport) this is why I was thinking this call sign might belong up there. Don't think that this time of the year that there would be much anti drug activity though along the Northern border, I would think that would be September, October.

sigint1

Was: joking
The times that I've heard US Customs use a Tomahawk callign, it indicated a drug interdiction operations center or command post. Never heard it enough times to feel confident that it was static or itinerant in nature.

I agree - have head it before when I was living in Arizona and it was associated with drug interdiction operations CP

NESN

Omaha in CNJ/NNJ

On Thursday 1/7/10 I picked up a CBP Helo running aerial support for ground units on 169.445. I run this frequency for Wireless Mics. Mostly it was coming up as 100.0 but occasionally came up as P25-301. The helo was providing a video downlink for the ground units to record. I couldn't hear the ground units but the helo was on all day."Omaha" was heard often. They started in Edison/Woodbridge and after a fuel stop moved to the Secucus/Meadowlands area of NNJ. I was able to pick up the helo loud and clear from a fixed post approximately 40-60 miles south.

Last edited:

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
On Thursday 1/7/10 I picked up a CBP Helo running aerial support for ground units on 169.445. I run this frequency for Wireless Mics. Mostly it was coming up as 100.0 but occasionally came up as P25-301.

That was most likely 169.4500 MHz, CBP NET 2 or TAC 2. I have heard their operations blast in over a wireless mic system on 169.445 MHz...

- Chris

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
That was most likely 169.4500 MHz, CBP NET 2 or TAC 2. I have heard their operations blast in over a wireless mic system on 169.445 MHz...

- Chris

... and when I drive by my University I get the same in reverse for about 3 miles. Though I agree, the correct CBP frequency is 169.450.

Last edited:

ecps92

Back before P25 [aka 100.0 Hz], the 3 Rptr Pairs for USC in New England were:

165.2375 R / 166.4375 in NET-01
169.4500 R / 171.0750 in NET-02
165.4875 R / 166.9750 in NET-25

Each Repeater was located so as to provide overlapping coverage with the other Two Repeaters.

NET-01 Boston,
NET-02 North Adams, Deerfield NH, Prov RI,
NET-25 Orleans, Worcester

Some sites seem to be DOA now that P25 has moved into the Region.

As with the old 100.0 Hz on the input, there is only one NAC on the major Rptrs [$325] so a bird in the Sky will trip multiple Rptr Sites.

kennyblues are you located in MA? I heard the same thing today and I am located in NYC (and pretty sure they were coming in on NY repeater).

I wonder if 165.2375 analog is part of a larger network, if you are in MA and hearing the same thing, it must be quite a repeater network!

Food for thought, 169.450 NAC 301 is NET 2 and I have heard mostly New Jersey units operate.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
The base is in platsburg. The mostly fly up and down the st.lawrence and I hear them fly normal ops over the indian reservation a lot. There is quite a bit of drug activity in this area the feds just funded a new drug unit to cover the a 4 county area . The paper reported that there are only one or two of these divisions in the nation

Warthog1

Silent Key
The MQ-9's at Syracuse are ANG, replacing the F-16's which will probably be gone by March.
So far I haven't heard of them flying out of Syracuse yet. From what I have heard the FAA isn't really cool on the idea of unmanned aircraft in their airspace.
Now Drum is a diffrent story......they very well could have something up there. I have photos of one of their UAV's

Status
Not open for further replies.