Unknown pole-mounted device found in Blue Springs, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what type of device this is (see attached)? My first guess would be some sort of RF or internet access point for use by public safety agencies. Exact location is Adam's Dairy Pkwy and Coronado Dr.

Attachments

• 001-007.JPG
    001-007.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 264

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Small DAS cell site.

DAS = Distributed Antenna System.
Instead of having one large cell site, they use a number of smaller sites fed by fiber.
The two green boxes about half way up the pole are the Fiber to RF conversion boxes, they look like Ericsson RRU units. In the center between them is the AC to -48vdc rectifier.

So, a cell carrier. Probably if you looked closely at the pole, it may give you a clue to who the owner is. Some are operated directly by the cell carrier, some are run by third party companies like Crown Castle.

Using many smaller cell sites spreads out the load and allows more bandwidth available to users. They use fiber optic cable to link back to a central site that hosts a number of these smaller sites.

I've got a bunch of them at work, managed by Crown Castle.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Those are Ericsson RRUS units to be exact so it’s a 4G cell.

Someone left the door open on the unit. If you can get close enough, you might be able to see what band that unit is on.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Small DAS cell site.

DAS = Distributed Antenna System.
Instead of having one large cell site, they use a number of smaller sites fed by fiber.
The two green boxes about half way up the pole are the Fiber to RF conversion boxes, they look like Ericsson RRU units. In the center between them is the AC to -48vdc rectifier.

So, a cell carrier. Probably if you looked closely at the pole, it may give you a clue to who the owner is. Some are operated directly by the cell carrier, some are run by third party companies like Crown Castle.

Using many smaller cell sites spreads out the load and allows more bandwidth available to users. They use fiber optic cable to link back to a central site that hosts a number of these smaller sites.

I've got a bunch of them at work, managed by Crown Castle.

Those are Ericsson RRUS units to be exact so it’s a 4G cell.

Someone left the door open on the unit. If you can get close enough, you might be able to see what band that unit is on.

Appreciate the info. That's a very congested area with stores and restaurants everywhere. Stands to reason why they chose to install it in that particular location.

Just saw one Lee's Summit on Douglas by the movie theater on top a street light.

Must be a pretty common thing on the East side of KC. I haven't seen those anywhere else in the KC area (though they could just be hidden away in different places).

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have seen similar poles with streetlights o top in the St Louis area. They are black with a fairly large base and a large round top similar to the one in the picture. I have been unofficially told that they are 5G towers. And yes they are smaller than the big towers and spread all over certain areas. Could they also handle 5G?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not that particular setup but yes, a similar setup with different radios could support 5G or whatever else they want.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have seen similar poles with streetlights o top in the St Louis area. They are black with a fairly large base and a large round top similar to the one in the picture. I have been unofficially told that they are 5G towers. And yes they are smaller than the big towers and spread all over certain areas. Could they also handle 5G?

Similar setup. Just depends on how well they need it to blend in. Around here in rural areas, there are a lot that are just bolted to the side of wooden utility poles.

As for 5G, unlikely. The technology is still being rolled out and isn't that wide spread yet. There's a lot of fear mongering going on with "the dreaded 5G's" that is unwarranted, and it seems like any unexplained structure that goes up is claimed to be a "5G tower".

Papagei

I know AT&T installed a few of these around Independence within the past several years. I remember that they wanted to put one near Drumm Farm on Lee's Summit Road, and installed a wood pole for it between the sidewalk and the street. Local residents objected to the aesthetics, and complained to the city. I think AT&T finally relocated it a bit west, towards the west side of the Drumm Farm property.

I also saw one in the process of being installed, somewhere in Independence or Blue Springs, but I can't remember exactly where it was. It had a wood utility pole with antennae, but no boxes on the side of the pole. Instead, there was a box sitting on the ground next to the pole, kind of like a traffic signal relay box. When I drove by there were several co-axes sticking out of the front of that box, waiting to be attached to the radios.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
I know AT&T installed a few of these around Independence within the past several years. I remember that they wanted to put one near Drumm Farm on Lee's Summit Road, and installed a wood pole for it between the sidewalk and the street. Local residents objected to the aesthetics, and complained to the city. I think AT&T finally relocated it a bit west, towards the west side of the Drumm Farm property.

I also saw one in the process of being installed, somewhere in Independence or Blue Springs, but I can't remember exactly where it was. It had a wood utility pole with antennae, but no boxes on the side of the pole. Instead, there was a box sitting on the ground next to the pole, kind of like a traffic signal relay box. When I drove by there were several co-axes sticking out of the front of that box, waiting to be attached to the radios.

Ha!! Co-axes, is that like a government ho-ax?

We have lots of small cells going up here in Iowa from various carriers. Even within the same carrier there are far different installs and equipment used. I've assumed that is difference in technology but I'm not up on the cell technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.