Pro-2006: Unknown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
My PRO-2006 only gets occasional use, and for short periods of time. Yesterday, I powered up the scanner and the following occurred: The backlight was on, but there was no sound even with the squelch open; the LCD display was completely blank with no frequency, channel, or bank information; and the keypad did not respond to any key presses and didn't produce an audible beep. I pressed the "restart" button in the rear without any effect. The only work I've ever done on this scanner is to replace the EL backlight panel. Before this, the scanner operated without any problems. So, before I take it apart to check for any obvious problems, does anyone have any ideas of what I should be looking for?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I read that the scanner has an internal memory backup battery. If the memory is gone, the scanner will not be able to scan anything.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I read that the scanner has an internal memory backup battery. If the memory is gone, the scanner will not be able to scan anything.
I removed the battery and it tested good. But even with a bad battery and a wiped memory, the display would show that the 2006 was scanning all 10 banks and all 400 empty channels. The display is completely blank.

wmbio

On the back panel is a small hole where the reset button is installed. You need a very small plastic toothpic to reset this button with the power on! after all these years good luck

enjoy
wmbio

bob550

Premium Subscriber
On the back panel is a small hole where the reset button is installed. You need a very small plastic toothpic to reset this button with the power on! after all these years good luck

enjoy
wmbio
Yup. I did that to no effect.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am not familiar with that particular scanner. If you have ribbon cables in sockets going to the display, reseat the cables. That is a common problem. From my experience servicing electronic equipment, bad solder connections tend to fail after 10 or 15 years. Try putting pressure on components in the scanner while you watch the display.

ecps92

Open up the Radio and Reset the Speaker pins to the mother board
IF that does not work, try the external speaker slot, it could be your built in speaker is DOA
My PRO-2006 only gets occasional use, and for short periods of time. Yesterday, I powered up the scanner and the following occurred: The backlight was on, but there was no sound even with the squelch open; the LCD display was completely blank with no frequency, channel, or bank information; and the keypad did not respond to any key presses and didn't produce an audible beep. I pressed the "restart" button in the rear without any effect. The only work I've ever done on this scanner is to replace the EL backlight panel. Before this, the scanner operated without any problems. So, before I take it apart to check for any obvious problems, does anyone have any ideas of what I should be looking for?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Open up the Radio and Reset the Speaker pins to the mother board
IF that does not work, try the external speaker slot, it could be your built in speaker is DOA
Well that might account for the lack of any audio. But what would account for a blank display?

Engine104

Member since 2005
Right, that's not the speaker.

I'd try what Tvengr suggested check the ribbon cables. It sounds like a cpu problem, being that everything in the processor is not working.

wtp

hit and hold the clear button on the front and then hit the back reset with the paper clip while power is on.
i also vote for a ribbon cable being the cause. then maybe a solder joint.

i fixed my oven and save about $500 of what the wife wanted with the ribbon cable thing.
it displayed the time but nothing worked. took the cable out and wiped it with my shirt.
crude but effective. my 2004 is still going with everyday use.

Ubbe

When the battery is bad the 2006 beeps. The CPU doesn't seem to start up. There's usually a capacitor at the reset to the CPU that delays the reset at power on so every voltage are stabilized before the scanner program starts. That electrolyt capacitor could have gone bad.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So far, I have disconnected and reseated all connectors (there are no ribbon cables in this model). I have applied pressure to every component I can reach while viewing the LCD for any activity. I have tightened all PC board screws. I have visually inspected all reachable capacitors for obvious signs of leakage or swelling, including components housed within metal shields, and all looks good. The only exception is a blotchy film on a component I can't identify. Nothing has helped. I'm attaching a photo of both the dead LCD and the questionable component for reference.

PRO-2006 Fault.jpgUnknown Component.jpeg

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So far, I have disconnected and reseated all connectors (there are no ribbon cables in this model). I have applied pressure to every component I can reach while viewing the LCD for any activity. I have tightened all PC board screws. I have visually inspected all reachable capacitors for obvious signs of leakage or swelling, including components housed within metal shields, and all looks good. The only exception is a blotchy film on a component I can't identify. Nothing has helped. I'm attaching a photo of both the dead LCD and the questionable component for reference.

Have you tried powering the scanner using the 12 volt power input jack on the back rather than plugging it into the wall?

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried powering the scanner using the 12 volt power input jack on the back rather than plugging it into the wall?

Not only good to try, but it's a better way to run a PRO-2006 as well. If there is something burned out, it's likely in part due to years of exposure to the heat generated by the internal power supply. All PRO-2006 owners should consider a $10 investment in an external 12V power supply for this reason.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not only good to try, but it's a better way to run a PRO-2006 as well.

Yep.... I'm still using 6 of the Pro-2006 (one is the Commtel 205 version) on a daily basis, all using external 12V supplies. No doubt a good reason why they are all still running perfectly.

Ubbe

The green looks like a choke and the the other two are capacitors of different kinds that are used to filter the supply voltage to the circuit boards.
It could be the 5v to the CPU that are short circuit to ground. The components you show are probably L503 C511 and C512. It should run without C511/C512 as a test. Also check C508 and it should also run without it and at least power up.

2mphb0o.jpg

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.