unknown trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiewmorris

i have picked up an unknown trunk, control channel of 409.0125, and displays an trunking id of a518, (no info on here or fcc website), didn't have any talking at 1 am, possibly new business, just wondering if anybody close to the Kingstree area (Williamsburg Co-Pee Dee area of SC) has had this system or knows this system id, please help!!

also, picked up another 800 trunking control channel on my pro-2067 of 855.8250, cannot find any info on this either, anyone have any luck with this one either; my pro-96 will not pick it up(?)

jamiewmorris

We have a new Federal Prison being built;opening soon; about 20 miles from my residence, in Salters, SC, I was thinking that could possilby be it.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
855.825?

Could that control channel you're hearing actually be on 855.8125?

If so, maybe you're getting Myrtle Beach Communications TRS from Horry Co., or Nucor Steel TRS from Florence or Berkeley Cos. Just a guess.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out about comms at the new Prison in Salters. I was just by there a few weeks ago, and it's an impressive site.

Brian
SCScan

mikey60

With that frequency it's very likely a federal system, and the prison is a good possibility. A new system went on line recently at a federal prison in SE michigan as well, with frequencies in the same range.

Mike

jamiewmorris

Brian, I tried all the frequencies around that certain freq.. but nothing. This was done on my pro2067, not on my pro96, so it can be anything, I never got it to flash CNTL by the the freq.. as the pro2067 does, but it would flash talkgroup numbers, so i don't know, will continue to monitor.

jamiewmorris

possible federal prison trunk system?

i also got 409.4125 as a control channel for the system that i cannot identify as of yet, still shows A518 as system id, and as you would know, no info on fcc.....how would i properly program this into pro96, or only programming cc in would monitor correctly??

mikey60

Federal frequencies are not licensed by the FCC, so you won't find any information on them in the FCC database.

The best way to get the frequencies of one of these systems is to get a trunker run on it, and match it against what frequencies are known. Once you get two frequencies and their associated channel numbers, the base, offset and spacing can be calculated.

Most if the frequencies on the system will likely be between 406 and 412Mhz. Most of the federal trunks I've seen are in that range although there's probably not anything that would really prevent them from using anything between 406 and 420.

Mike

jamiewmorris

federal prison

I took my pro96 and rode by the prison site, and about 99% sure it is them, I got a 90 to 99 percent signal strength. The prison is not operating yet, but should be soon! I will post any other control channels when or if they become active!

mikey60

If you can't get a trunker capture on the system, you can use trial and error to attempt to get the system settings. It's time consuming, but can be done. The busier the system, the quicker this process can go.

Be sure to set the bank to Table mode, start with a base of 406.0000, an offset of 380, and a step size of 12.5Khz. Try it at that level for awhile and see if you get any traffic.

If that doesn't work, try increasing the base frequency in 12.5Khz steps until you find one that works... The base progression would be something like this:

406.0375 etc...

As you can see, this can take awhile if the system's base frequency is in the 408 or 409 range.

Alternatively, start from the lowest frequency you have found, and go down in frequency by 12.5khz steps. You may get lucky and have the lowest frequency be the base. (That's what happened on one up here in Michigan).

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.