Unknown UHF - ENC 451.80000

Flyham

Been hearing some activity the past few days on 451.800 mhz. I want to assume it's P25 as i've seen NAC 167 pop up several times. However it all appears encrypted as I'm unable to hear any clear voice traffic. Hearing mostly around the Greensboro / High Point area. Didn't really notice it until Saturday and seemed to have heavy use Monday morning.

Nortonterrier

Premium Subscriber
I checked the FCC ULS database & there is nothing licensed on this freq in NC.
Further research revealed that 451.800 is a low power itinerant part 90 business frequency.
Found this at: Business Radio - HFUnderground
All Part 90 frequencies above 150 MHz must operate in narrow band mode or use digital voice modes that meet the FCC narrow-banding requirement.
451.8000 MHz - Itinerant, maximum power 35 watts, simplex or repeater output

ecps92

?? I see 10 Valid licenses in NC, but also keep in mind this is an Itinerant Channel as well, so the licensee maynot be from NC

FCC Search parameters
> https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/engineering_search_out.cfm?service_select=%&accessible=NO&state_select=NC&county_select=All&begin_freq=451.8000&begin_freq_type=M&end_freq=&end_freq_type=M&polar=B&radio_ch0=P&lat_ddd=&lat_ddd_cfforminteger=Latitude+degrees+must+be+numeric.&lat_mm=&lat_mm_cfforminteger=Latitude+minutes+must+be+numeric.&lat_ss=&lat_ss_cfformnumeric=Latitude+Seconds+must+be+numeric.&ns_radio_ch1=N&lon_ddd=&lon_ddd_cfforminteger=Longitude+degrees+must+be+numeric.&lon_mm=&lon_mm_cfforminteger=Longitude+minutes+must+be+numeric.&lon_ss=&lon_SS_cfformnumeric=Longitude+seconds+must+be+numeric.&ew_radio_ch1=W&radius=&Radius_cfformnumeric=Radius+must+be+numeric.&distance_type=&lat_ddd2=&lat_mm2=&lat_ss2=&ns_radio_ch2=&lon_ddd2=&lon_mm2=&lon_ss2=&ew_radio_ch2=&soundex_select=&wild_select=on&begin_grant_date=&end_grant_date=&begin_expiration_date=&end_expiration_date=&sortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num&limit_select=4 <

I checked the FCC ULS database & there is nothing licensed on this freq in NC.
Further research revealed that 451.800 is a low power itinerant part 90 business frequency.
Found this at: Business Radio - HFUnderground
All Part 90 frequencies above 150 MHz must operate in narrow band mode or use digital voice modes that meet the FCC narrow-banding requirement.
451.8000 MHz - Itinerant, maximum power 35 watts, simplex or repeater output

Flyham

Thanks gentlemen. I didn't want to assume anything, just seemed awful coincidental given the current events and time heard.

CCHLLM

P25 and encrypted definitely isn't Holiday Tours or Motorcoach Services. We're all TRBO in the buses and all other company vehicles and portables.

The media resources and media comm companies also use itinerant frequencies, so your guess is as good as mine.

RFI-EMI-GUY

NAC 167 leads me to believe the feds set up on a random frequency, maybe to avoid detection

Feds, looking to avoid detection? Not likely, they have AES256. More likely some well healed Agent Provocateurs. Whatever happened to Blackwater/Xe/Academi???

RFI-EMI-GUY

NC is base for what was once Blackwater./Xe/Academi. They have training camps etc in NC. They would be my first suspect in this. The FCC database might indicate one of their companies.

from wikipedia:
2014–present: Constellis Holdings
A merger between Triple Canopy and Academi, along with other companies that were part of the Constellis Group package, are now all gathered under the Constellis Holdings, Inc. umbrella.[9] The transaction brings together an array of security companies including Triple Canopy, Constellis Ltd., Strategic Social, Tidewater Global Services, National Strategic Protective Services, ACADEMI Training Center and International Development Solutions.[10]

Flyham

Took a few, but I was able to get DSD+ up and running. Still getting hits on 451.800 with NAC 167. Unfortunately still ENC, however with DSD in the toolbox i'm seeing an ALGID of 84.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest you take your scanner and sit on that frequency and when you get activity, look in the VHF Fed band for activity. You could be getting an image from the 162-174 band. Individual RIDs also can help eliminate users.

chris

ScubaJungle

Feds, looking to avoid detection? Not likely, they have AES256. More likely some well healed Agent Provocateurs. Whatever happened to Blackwater/Xe/Academi???
Yes, but not all of them understand encryption nor anything about radios for that matter, and on the other hand, some do and understand all the intel that can be grabbed from RIDs, affiliation, etc.
It wouldn't be the first time the feds have set up on business frequencies and/or the 450-460mhz band.
Not saying that Im right/you're wrong - I'm just throwing out another possibility.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that 451.800 $167 has been very active this week. Also turned on other itinerants and found 469.550 $167 and 154.5275 $167 with very little simplex traffic as well as 43.04 with some digital mode that doesn't decode on the scanner. All encrypted with no clear traffic.

Did not get any ID's.

Flyham

Just afternoon, I was getting a hit on 154.5275 NAC 167 RID1. It was ENC as well.
Strongest in an area north of Asheboro and south of Greensboro. Can't help but wonder if both findings are related to recent civil unrest moments.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Can't help but wonder if both findings are related to recent civil unrest moments.

While anything is possible, I doubt your local/county/state police would have the budget for that, or that the any agency is doing it there and not in the other major cities like Charlotte, Raleigh or Fayetteville, especially with generic RIDs of 1. Think you should be looking at what @RFI-EMI-GUY suggested above.