Unlicensed user on VE6HM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hey folks,

Seems there is a fellow from the US(accent and self volunteered) in the Edmonton area who came up on the 147.0600 VE6HM repeater, with some sort of VHF radio, he does not appear to be licensed, and asked users if the repeater was CB Ch 9. After being informed it was a licensed service asked where else he could transmit, he was informed the VHF spectrum, in Canada, has no areas that allow licence free operation.

Seems someone 'modded' his radio for $25 and he was determined to talk...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
A little surprised he would ask about CB channel 9. I thought all they would be concerned about is channel 19. Or even channel 6. But I do hope he goes the way of the dodo bird.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
A little surprised he would ask about CB channel 9. I thought all they would be concerned about is channel 19. Or even channel 6. But I do hope he goes the way of the dodo bird.

Yea caught me by surprise! But what ever... Seems that he has no idea what kind of radio he has, or what it is for.

He knew enough to program the radio with an offset and a tone, so chances are he knows a little about how the NARC repeaters work. I would question how innocent his transmissions are. May be worth keeping an eye on him and maybe doing a bit off foxhunting sometime in case it gets worse.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
He knew enough to program the radio with an offset and a tone, so chances are he knows a little about how the NARC repeaters work. I would question how innocent his transmissions are. May be worth keeping an eye on him and maybe doing a bit off foxhunting sometime in case it gets worse.

Or it is stolen and pre-programmed and he thought he was buying a CB. He won't last too long I'm sure he will blow it up with a high SWR on his CB antenna.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Breaker breaker one nine... Bubble pack pirate maybe?

Who knows really, all I assume is he didn't have a clue what he was using. If I was there (in Edmonton) and he was persistent I'd have to do some of that good ol' bunny hunting. Bet I'd find him at a truck stop.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Illegals on 2 meters are rare. I'm hearing more and more Mexicans on the lower part of 10 meters when they used to stay off of there. But there is so much on all of 27 Mhz and very little CW on 28 Mhz they just migrated. Just like across the border. LOL...

SCPD

QRT
Yea caught me by surprise! But what ever... Seems that he has no idea what kind of radio he has, or what it is for.

Maybe I can shed some light on this subject and this is my two cents worth and nothing more. The local paint gun community is probably the biggest consumer of programmable dual band radios in the Edmonton area.

They buy truck loads and have them programmed by someone with some knowledge of radio. The radios I seen used have GMRS, VHF open unlicensed frequencies and a few ham repeaters.
They also use these radios for personal or work

Is one of these guys your suspect could be

My two cents worth

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Some other users of "ham radios" are paragliders [some are licensed hams, others not], 4x4ers [although a large number are licensed hams], and I'm sure many others because of the proliferation of two way radios on the internet. Not to steal this thread [someone can start another thread] but as far as I know there are no unlicensed VHF or UHF frequencies in Canada except MURs, FRS and Marine [limited]. There are some wide use frequencies but generally have to have a license [radio at least]. MURs has not been opened in Canada to the best of my knowledge although were rumours about 2014 July. One would hope that people would stick to FRS. Or MURs if it were available. But as long as people can obtain a user programmable "ham radio" at the drop of a hat, there will be people that pop up on VHF or UHF ham frequencies. Hopefully they are intelligent enough to realize that they are not operating properly without a license and will go to FRS frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.