Unlisted Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman692

I just purchased a scanner and while scanning (in southern Lafourche Parish) I picked up a frequency unlisted on the RR Database. All of the Lafourche Parish Sheriff Office frequencies have been silent all day, but 868.57500 mHz has had steady traffic all day. From the transmissions, it sounds like the LPSO; however, the online stream of the LPSO here is broadcasting something else. Can anyone identify this frequency?

I researched the frequency and found that it is registered to the State of Louisiana as part of their trunked radio network (the Larose control frequency). I have no idea how trunking works, but there has only been a single agency operating on this frequency. I tried entering a few talk groups under the trunking option in my Pro-164 with no success. I am so confused as far as the trunking goes.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...I am so confused as far as the trunking goes.
In regard to this, may I suggest a trip to the RR Wiki. Have a look at this article to start with and then move on to more complex explanations if necessary.

As to what you are hearing and the difference between what you hear on a single frequency and an online feed, after reading the above link some of that may be explained. As for why you hear so much traffic on one single frequency, understand that in a trunking situation, an agency may indeed be assigned one repeater over and over again, especially when traffic is low. In other words, there may be no load balancing across several repeaters unless there is enough activity to cause several repeaters to be on at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.