unlocking freqs on a 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
i was told you could unlock some freqs on the 96 why would anyone want to do this? how would you unlock them to begin with

kikito

Premium Subscriber
tbharper said:
i was told you could unlock some freqs on the 96 why would anyone want to do this? how would you unlock them to begin with

Assuming you're talking about the Pro-96, YES, you can unlock a good chunk of additional spectrum by using the Win96 software. No, it's NOT the cellular frequencies you can unlock.....

VintageJon

This, unlock, opens up a few Air and several other freqs...
(I want all the coverage I can get.) Very useful when I'm dopwn in S.A. as this is a tough radio environment.)
MilAir monitoring is nearly useless without the Unlock. Wildlife Tracking also. (Yeah, I'm a Bird Nut and monitor the Owl/Martin Migration freqs as well as all the Mil Air I can.)
Even with the Unlock I've only got 3 Owl freqs in the folder, but have heard one, one time!

Get Win96, do 1.3Fix and you'l all you can today out of your 96. I did and never regreted it.
Especially the Win96 as it's wonderful.

1.3Fix helps Cilvil Air and 900MHz EDACS a lot too...

-Jon

-Jon

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
how do you do a 1.3 fix? how do you unlock the channels with the win 96

Last edited:

VintageJon

THere is a Rat Shack link for the 1.3-fix and it's posted in a title by that name or "Pro06 update" in this forum.

I may still have it on the saved items and can email you if you can't find it in this forum- Radio Shack Scanners...

Jon
email: muse@texas.net

PS: I've been told that my email is not "on: with this site , but I keep trying to fix that... It looks to me like if you click my handle, VintageJon, then you get the option to email me. Who knows when it comes to computers? Email or PM me and I'll see what I can do...

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
ticoman71 said:
What are the extended frequencies...???
The following is copied from the Win96 version 1.25 upgrade section at starrsoft.com:
Added an “extended frequencies” option, which seems to enable some sort of hidden test mode that allows all frequencies except cellular.

Frequencies
can be sent from Win96, or can be entered directly on the scanner’s keypad (including in SR6 – Limit Search).
Addendum: Some ranges still appear to be "blocked" by the scanner. Here are the ranges that seem to be "opened" with this feature:

17 - 25
54 - 108
225 - 406
512 - 550
764 - 806
960 - 1240
[

The most popular is likely MilAir AM range (225 - 395). But many are hoping for a fix from RS that will allow trunking in the 380 - 400 and 764 - 800 bands. Starr has opened the bands anyway.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"But many are hoping for a fix from RS that will allow trunking in the 380 - 400 and 764 - 800 bands"

RS didn't add these "locked out" frequencies in the first place - why would you (or exactly who is hoping?) expect them to send develop a new CPU and replace those in scanners for those ranges? They'd have to do the whole certification process again to accomplish that!

Moral of the story - if you were one that was looking forward to those additional ranges - stop hoping ;>

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
"RS didn't add these "locked out" frequencies in the first place - why would you (or exactly who is hoping?) expect them to send develop a new CPU and replace those in scanners for those ranges? They'd have to do the whole certification process again to accomplish that!"

Granted, it will need a new CPU. But this from Starr's comment "which seems to enable some sort of hidden test mode" could be the ranges discussed may be already certified. GRE obviously knows they are part of the scanner certification if they in fact use the "test mode" for whatever purpose.

1) I guess you mean those of us using Win96 (surely yourself) with extended freqs checked are using uncertified or illegally modified software.

2) The current CPU is 1.3/1.4 - meaning CPU has been changed. In early Aug '05, my 07A03 1.1 CPU cost 49 bucks to replace.

3) I wonder how re-certifying can be a problem? Wouldn't building a new radio to accommodate the same needs require certification and be much more costly for the end user?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
1) It's not software, a radio is hardware. I'm not sure of the legality of using a "opened" Pro96 since it's outside the certification, but I wouldn't worry about it. The FCC has much bigger fries in the pan.

2) It did not change from 1.3 to 1.4, it was simply a different manufacturing process. All operations are identical.

3) Because it costs money, and serves no purpose. They will not release a brand new radio that has all the same features as the Pro96 but adds these missing ranges.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
"1) It's not software, a radio is hardware. I'm not sure of the legality of using a "opened" Pro96 since it's outside the certification, but I wouldn't worry about it. The FCC has much bigger fries in the pan.

2) It did not change from 1.3 to 1.4, it was simply a different manufacturing process. All operations are identical.

3) Because it costs money, and serves no purpose. They will not release a brand new radio that has all the same features as the Pro96 but adds these missing ranges."

My #1 may be worded incorrectly, I meant Win96 software modifying the radio to ranges you apparently think the radio isn't certified for.

My #2 you misread, it states the current hardware is 1.3/1.4 (meaning either and they are the same). #2 also indicated mine was at one time 1.1 (meaning the CPU HAS physically changed), thus GRE/RS are already geared to do this.

My #3 you apparently misread also. It makes more sense to provide a new CPU (and board if needed) at market cost to users with capabilities to trunk track new (and growing) 380-400 and 764-800 ranges rather then build a completely new radio. If the CPU/w/board can solve the issue, the end user can do it (again at market price) without sending the radio in for the fix.

The consumer alternative is Uniden which is already in the market for these ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.