• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

unmute encrypted P25 audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

saberthree

Hey guys, I wanted to ask how I can unmute encrypted P25 traffic from my radio. Now before I continue, I am in no way trying to decrypt encrypted traffic whatsoever! I would just like to hear the sound of the traffic, not decrypt, listen in and go to jail. In my county, we only have one agency that encrypts their traffic ( I hope it stays that way!!!) I didnt know they started to encrypt until I finally ordered CPS through /\/\ to start programming more frequencies through my PC instead of FPP...which is a nice feature when your on the move constantly but programming is so much more easier when you have a full size keyboard and a mouse!!!!! anyway, when I programmed the radio for all the frequencies in my county. I noticed that on dispatch of this specific city, I would see the RF signal meter pop up but no audio, so I pressed the monitor button and then the encrypted audio popped up and encryption icon popped up. In a way, I liked hearing the traffic but the only way I can listen is if I pay attention to the RF meter and press the monitor button.

I have looked around the other posts here and other sites, and from what I understand, if I set the squelch to digital CSQ, any digital audio should unmute, including encrypted traffic. I have already tried this on my radio, but still no luck on the radio unmuting to encrypted traffic. The only time I hear the dispatch is if a unit accidentally forget to turn on the encryption...this probably happens maybe twice a day. I'm thinking that I don't hear unmuted encrypted traffic, is that I am probably too far away...since I am listening from another city after all, in the same token, I've heard audio surprisingly good from other cities further away but then there's a possibility that they have a tower set up on top of the mountain.

The radio in question that I am using is a XTS 4000 UHF, with CPS R20
anyway, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions at this point.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You should be able to set the personality to Digital Carrier Squelch and it will unsquelch upon detecton of a P25/CAI data stream. Don't set the channel to decode NAC 293, as that is all it will look for.

saberthree

That is the same as Digital CSQ isn't it? I already did that and for some reason it will not work still. I did set the NAC code to F7E, when I am back on my home PC I am going to experiment and program for the repeaters NAC code instead and see what happens. I think there's a possibility that their repeater has poor coverage in my area and I am just getting crap. I was able to hear them pretty well on the shooting range where I worked and lived at....but that is closer and in open land. I moved off from the range and back to the city, which is probably 10 miles further from the site and a lot more obstructions.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If I'm reading this correctly, if you heard the data closer to them and then due to a location change no more, it is no doubt a signal level issue.

saberthree

I think it is possibly a signal issue too. When I was able to hear them at the range, this was at the time where I can only use FPP function, so I could not set Digital CSQ, I had to press the monitor button when I saw radio traffic on the signal meter. I didn't start using CPS until I moved back to the city. I'm hoping that I am just too far, since I now set the specific personality to Digital CSQ. On another forum, a member stated that I should program the radio with the right ALGID and KID and use a random key to be able to accomplish my goal. But I think you are right that I just need to set to Digital CSQ. anyway, hopefully I will be in the area and find out if I have the correct settings. Thanks for your input again KS4VT

Status
Not open for further replies.