unrelated off topic, dealing with Cell phone, coax cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

psdavidson

wasn't sure where to put this but was wondering if any body can help.

I have a cell phone car booster in my home. I used two 50' 12guage wires to extend the antenna. one for the inner and 2nd for the outer. it works ok. but the bright red wires on the house sucks

anyone know if I can take 50' of rg6 and solder the inner to the inner wire on the outer to outer if it would be better than the 2 seperate 12guage wires on there? not sure if the 75 ohms cable would be better.

just mostly thinking out loud and wondering if any one would know.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
wasn't sure where to put this but was wondering if any body can help.

I have a cell phone car booster in my home. I used two 50' 12guage wires to extend the antenna. one for the inner and 2nd for the outer. it works ok. but the bright red wires on the house sucks

anyone know if I can take 50' of rg6 and solder the inner to the inner wire on the outer to outer if it would be better than the 2 seperate 12guage wires on there? not sure if the 75 ohms cable would be better.

just mostly thinking out loud and wondering if any one would know.

If you are truly using 12 gauge wire to extend the antenna I'm doubtful it is actually helping you at all,

psdavidson

Honestly I thought the same thing until I hooked the wire and went from 3 bar too nothing then back again when hooked up. The antenna feed wire was 16 guage. I just cut and extended it.

DisasterGuy

To do this properly the (cut) coax should be terminated to a proper connector (TNC/Mini-UHF/SMA/N) and then connected to another length of proper 50 ohm coax. At 50', 1/4" superflex or ever RG-58 would be fine. With the setup that you currently describe there is likely a very high reflected power and all kinds of spurious emissions.

psdavidson

To do this properly the (cut) coax should be terminated to a proper connector (TNC/Mini-UHF/SMA/N) and then connected to another length of proper 50 ohm coax. At 50', 1/4" superflex or ever RG-58 would be fine. With the setup that you currently describe there is likely a very high reflected power and all kinds of spurious emissions.
so the rg58 would be better than the rg6? I have both on hand.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Why use a booster at all? Why not put a mini cell tower right inside your house... with no requirement for an outdoor antenna?
Do you have an Internet connection (other than dialup... cable modem, DSL, etc.)? Then get what is called (generically) a "femtocell". It's a tiny cell site that uses your Internet connection to backhaul your cell calls to the wireless carrier. Verizon calls them "Network Extenders", AT&T "Microcells", and a variety of other names from other cellular carriers. For a one-time charge that may be less than what your booster cost, cannot cause interference, is approved by the carrier for use on the system, has no external antenna requirement.... and works better than a booster.... you can get a femtocell. Installation is dirt-simple: plug it into your Internet connection and wait while the device self-configures. Your mini-tower will then extend the cellular network signal into your house.

psdavidson

Why use a booster at all? Why not put a mini cell tower right inside your house... with no requirement for an outdoor antenna?
Do you have an Internet connection (other than dialup... cable modem, DSL, etc.)? Then get what is called (generically) a "femtocell". It's a tiny cell site that uses your Internet connection to backhaul your cell calls to the wireless carrier. Verizon calls them "Network Extenders", AT&T "Microcells", and a variety of other names from other cellular carriers. For a one-time charge that may be less than what your booster cost, cannot cause interference, is approved by the carrier for use on the system, has no external antenna requirement.... and works better than a booster.... you can get a femtocell. Installation is dirt-simple: plug it into your Internet connection and wait while the device self-configures. Your mini-tower will then extend the cellular network signal into your house.

Never heard that before. Googling that now!
I use the booster down stairs in my basement. I get fair reception upstairs, none down stairs except with the booster. It works well but what your saying would allow me to use it any where downstairs

Status
Not open for further replies.