UnRestricted Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

imzack

Im new at scanners and such, but I noticed that the scanners i have seen have certian frequencies that are locked out... is there anyway to hack a scanner to get any frequency or to purchase one? I know that the older scanners you could just purchase crystals, but what about these new ones?

thanks
Zack

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If you're asking about the cell phone bands, sorry, even if you can recieve them, they're all digital now, and unmonitorable on a scanner.

If you're asking about other frequency ranges, sorry, if it's not in the scanner, you can't magically add it. The circuitry has to be there. There have been a few scanners where external programming could re-enable access to the military air band (225-400 MHz), namely the Pro-96, but in general, it's like asking 'why can't I receive the FM Broadcast Band on my AM radio?'

It would be more useful if you explained just which frequencies you want to be able to monitor.

freqs

I have a old pro2006 that get the cell band I have not picked up anything in years I beleive but could be wrong its all digital and up in the 1600mhz now or in that area

N9JIG

Sheriff
Like Skip said, the cell freqs are all a form of digital that can not be heard on scanners, even if the freqs themselves were in your radio. (They are not the same format of digital as digital scanners have...)

While the original cell freqs (869-894) are still used, there are other cell bands as well, mostly up around 1900 MHz., outside the range of most scanners, but again, in formats that even the best scanners can not hear.

Most scanners do have other ranges that they do not cover. Most cover the classic scanner bands, usually some derivative of 25-54, 108-174, 406-512 and 806-960 (minus the 869-894 and 824-851 cell ranges). Better scanners cover the Mil Air band of roughly 225 to 406 and some radios cover more esoteric bands like 72-76 (mostly industrial comms and data) or extend the 800/900 bands to cover the 700 MHz range and up to 1300 for the ham band there.

The stuff in between these ranges is usually of little interest to scanner listeners, such as TV channels, FM broadcast or unmonitorable (cell phones).

There are a couple scanners with "No Gaps", such as the venerable PRO2004/5/6 that covered 25-520 and 760-1300 minus the cell phone ranges (easily restored). Wildly popular, these worked well over the entire range of freqs, and the only stuff that was missing was 520-760, which is part of the TV bands.

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
There is always the AOR AR8200MKIII that covers DC to Light but is strictly analog. It will pickup some digital signals but will decode nothing. And, it is quite the radio!

KK4HG

Premium Subscriber
Rich,

If I ever need directions in the Chicago area, I'm calling you! Your website is very impressive and chock full of goodies! Great job, man!! (sorry for the hihack)

Henry, KK4HG

rather than focusing on an unblocked radio,noting the fact even unblocked models wont let you hear cell calls anyway.Your probably better off putting that 3 to 500 dollars towards a good digital receiver.

youll get to receive all that you can ever want,,

lbpd719

it's true - thanks to technology, there is nothing to hear in most of the blocked areas these days anyway.

I am sure you can find an uncorked receiver if you look around, but will find you will just use the standard frequencies anyway. I don't think I have ever actually programmed a "blocked" range into any radio for that reason, nothing to hear there..

hfxChris

Database Admin
Interestingly, the original poster mentioned nothing about wanting to monitor cell phones...but almost every response mentions that they're un-monitorable :D

aharry

Interestingly, the original poster mentioned nothing about wanting to monitor cell phones...but almost every response mentions that they're un-monitorable :D

That’s because there is only one restriction on radio receiver manufacturers for receivers sold in the US, and that is it can not receive frequencies designated for cellular service. So if there is only one range that is truly “blocked” and someone is looking for a receiver that monitors “blocked” frequencies, it’s not a stretch to come to that conclusion. The other gaps are simply economics, why support receiving frequencies that carry little or no interesting communication. And there are certainly receivers that will receive all frequencies, excluding cellular, for those that want it.

N0IU

Sure, everyone wants an unrestricted scanner, but how do you think he would feel if someone was monitoring his private phone conversations?

57Bill

Most of us that were around in the day when there were no restrictions, simply wouldn't talk over a cordless or cell phone about anything truly personal. Unless we were pretty sure a scanning enthusiast in the neighborhood was tuned in, then we'd make up stuff.

mciupa

Database Admin
its about time someone got some support to drop the blocked feq ban since there is nothing to hear there anymore..
... so, correct me if I'm wrong... you want to hear nothing? :confused:

N

N_Jay

its about time someone got some support to drop the blocked feq ban since there is nothing to hear there anymore..

Congress is like a sleeping herd of blind clumsy elephants.

Waking them to get them to do what you want is much more likely to end up in you being trampled.

brusso99

Some radios have poor cell blocks like the icom
2500 which cuts off some public safety frequencies in my area. There is nothing that they were blocking the frequencies for to hear i ls what I'm saying.

Brett Russo

Status
Not open for further replies.