Unsure about antenna installation

synackfin

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased a diamond d3000n antenna to mount on my roof for scanner reception since the extendable antenna I have inside just doesn't seem to be capable. One thing I'm unsure of is grounding the antenna (rf ground i think ?). I have an old tv antenna mount that I was going to mount the antenna to and then run coax down to my office (about 25-50 feet). Do i need to do or purchase anything else other than my cable and the antenna. I've been watching video on installing them, but never see any discussion in the video about what else may need to be done other that "put it as high as possible". I am very new at this so am not fully clear what else to do. Thanks !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
National Electric Code requires proper grounding of the mast and a lightning protection device installed where the coax enters your home.

Most hobby oriented guides/videos ignore it since it adds to cost, complexity and people selling antennas don't want you to think it's too complex or expensive.

If you wanted to do this per NEC, here's a pretty simple to understand guide:

Beware of anyone that tells you it's not needed. Some confuse luck with skill.

synackfin

Premium Subscriber
This is helpful. If I'm reading this right (and i may not be), would bring coax in to a surge protector which is plugged in to a 3-prong outlet (which i think should mean grounded via my electrical panel) suffice here ?

Blackswan73

You put a lightning arrestor inline with the coax. Then connect the ground lug on the arrestor to an earth ground. A lightning arrestor is not the same as a surge protector
B.S.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is helpful. If I'm reading this right (and i may not be), would bring coax in to a surge protector which is plugged in to a 3-prong outlet (which i think should mean grounded via my electrical panel) suffice here ?

No.

As stated above, you need a suitable lightning protection device.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/PolyPhaser-B...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Not saying you should buy that one, but Polyphaser is a respected brand in the industry. There are less expensive hobby grade versions of that.

That needs to be bonded to your homes ground rod. Idea is you are giving lightning or any induced energy the shortest path to ground.

You absolutely do not want to connect it to the safety ground that is in your outlets. That is not suitable for a lightning ground, and connecting to that would put all that energy into your home and home electronics.

synackfin

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for spelling this out for me. I will look into this device and speak with my electrician on how to set up properly.

paulears

Expect your electrician to be completely untrained at all things radio. They will at best treat your antenna as a lightning conductor. The concepts of grounded and floating antennas are not remotely covered in their qualification. Unless they are also a radio ham, expect little useful advice.