Unusual air traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjo1981

I typically scan law enforcement and emergency frequencies but I picked up something unusual today.

For some reason, I have 151.955 programmed into my scanner and I heard what sounded like a commercial airline pilot communicating with his base. I only heard the pilot's side, but he was talking about the flight crew being uncomfortable with a passenger's "excessive" photo/video taking during the flight. Asking if it was illegal to film flight crews, and was there any way they could keep the passenger from leaving the flight with the photos/video.

Just thought I'd share.

kma371

QRT
Probably image of 130.250, which is part of the aircraft band used for company communications.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Remotely possible but I doubt it, the difference being 21.747 it makes for a highly unusual 1st IF and since double and now triple conversion came along images are largely a thing of the past. There are still a few of government and military assignments in the bottom of VHF Hi Band, the area around 150-153 used to be mixed military. My best guess is a LEO of some sort... an Air Marshall?

KF4ZTO

151.955 MHz is a commonly used VHF business band frequency. I've heard places like Wal-Mart on it.

I remember hearing VHF aircraft images in the VHF 136-174 band all the time when I first got into scanning.

OP, what radio were you using when you heard these transmissions? 130.550 MHz (which is an airline company dispatcher frequency) + 21.4 = 151.950 MHz. Close enough to be an image.

kma371

QRT
Remotely possible but I doubt it, the difference being 21.747 it makes for a highly unusual 1st IF and since double and now triple conversion came along images are largely a thing of the past. There are still a few of government and military assignments in the bottom of VHF Hi Band, the area around 150-153 used to be mixed military. My best guess is a LEO of some sort... an Air Marshall?

I got 21.7 if images all the time in VHF hi. So VERY possible

WB0VHB

I typically scan law enforcement and emergency frequencies but I picked up something unusual today.

For some reason, I have 151.955 programmed into my scanner and I heard what sounded like a commercial airline pilot communicating with his base. I only heard the pilot's side, but he was talking about the flight crew being uncomfortable with a passenger's "excessive" photo/video taking during the flight. Asking if it was illegal to film flight crews, and was there any way they could keep the passenger from leaving the flight with the photos/video.

Just thought I'd share.

Sounds more like a receive image than a direct receive on 151.955. I'm not familiar with aviation frequencies but if you take 151.955 and subtract 21.7 MHz = 130.255 MHz. Would that frequency make more sense to hear a commercial airline pilot on?

Receiving IF images used to be a real problem years ago when programmable scanners first hit the market. In fact I bought a filter from Grove Enterprises to filter out aviation signals. I see Grove still sells an assortment of these filters if you consider aviation to be undesirable.

kjo1981

The OP needs to specify whether he heard this in AM or FM.

I heard this on my 20-yo Uniden Bearcat. I've been scanning for a number of years, and I've heard of AM and FM before of course but I can't answer your question.

kjo1981

I apologize, this thread really belongs in the aircraft forum. But after I posted it there, it was locked by the cross-post police.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I apologize, this thread really belongs in the aircraft forum. But after I posted it there, it was locked by the cross-post police.

It really belongs in the Iowa forum, if that's where you were located...

And it really helps your case when you start complaining about moderation in your first 10 posts in a forum.

Eliminating cross posts keeps all of the relevant information in one thread instead of fragmenting the information across the forums... plus cross posting is annoying.

Also, attacks on staff are tolerate far less than cross posting :roll: . But I feel that I'm a nice guy and fair, so rather than just tell you to buzz off, I've merged the threads into one and cleaned your other nonsense up.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
kjo1981 said:
I really didn't think it was anything that required a moderator's attention. I made it clear at the beginning of the other thread that I was sorry for cross-posting. It's a bit off-putting to a newbie like myself.who still getting a feel for the forums to have a thread locked like that. One double post wasn't going to hurt anything. Locking it only served to stifle discussion.
It required a moderator's attention because it was reported as a rules violation, which it was. Saying you're sorry doesn't change the violation, it just says you are sorry. Locking it and providing a link to this one does not stifle anything, indeed it serves the purpose of keeping a single topic in one place.

Look, we know that people don't like to be moderated and we do the best we can to accommodate folks; however, calling the moderation staff the cross-post police is a sure way to keep you on our minds. Here is an idea, read the rules (as you were instructed to when you signed up), since you have been a member for more than a year there is no excuse for you not to already be aware of them, so you probably you just need a review.

Finally, don't ask to have the topic deleted again. You started it, and it has nothing in it that warrants the topic to be deleted; again, read the rules.

Last edited:

kjo1981

It required a moderator's attention because it was reported as a rules violation, which it was. Saying you're sorry doesn't change the violation, it just says you are sorry. Locking it and providing a link to this one does not stifle anything, indeed it serves the purpose of keeping a single topic in one place.

Look, we know that people don't like to be moderated and we do the best we can to accommodate folks; however, calling the moderation staff the cross-post police is a sure way to keep you on our minds. Here is an idea, read the rules (as you were instructed to when you signed up), since you have been a member for more than a year there is no excuse for you not to already be aware of them, so you probably you just need a review.

Finally, don't ask to have the topic deleted again. You started it, and it has nothing in it that warrants the topic to be deleted; again, read the rules.

That's fine if you feel you need to keep me "on your mind", I'm not an everyday user of this site anyway. So I doubt I will occupy your thoughts for too long...

Status
Not open for further replies.