• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unusual Antenna Mounting Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I agree it would be an enormous pain in the hassle to cut the hole, and there would be significant risk of breaking the glass, and that you'd have to have a flexible antenna to minimize risk of breaking the glass from an impact after install.

SCPD

QRT
I had a windshield replaced this spring (hint: don't park under a spruce tree that has nothing better to do all winter than to grow large slabs of ice .. :) )
I have a local glass shop that replaced it- one of those business's that are quite rare- they do everything Glass- and have the skills and equipment to do it.
I'm anything but a 'waiting room' customer (they don't have one anyway- this is a small towne business)- this means I watch and learn what is being done to my vehicles. Since this is Colorado, we have this thing about unpaved roads, flying rocks and windshields- so these guys know me quite well, and my perchance for asking them questions (I've seen glass repairs done so many times I think I could actually drill out a star impact on a windshield and inject the light cured resin-- but, then I still lack the nerve)
I asked them about how they could get my new windshield overnight; there must be thousands of them for all the models, past and present.
They said they get them from these mammoth warehouses ( as explained--"remember the closing scene in 'Raids of the lost Ark"- the government storehouse?... gives you a good idea." )
"But what about cars that are too old or so rare they don't have them anymore?"
"Those were universally flat sheets of glass.. of course we use temper'd glass today....We can cut and drill it to any size" and they showed me some examples.
One that sticks in my mind was a replacement side window on a 50's VW -- it had holes drilled thru it for the hinges and a latch .
"You can drill temper'd glass here?" I asked
"The boss can.. "
"Meaning?" I asked again
The fellow didn't need to explain further- pointing to their box of scrapes and broken glass.
"It takes practice and patience to work with that stuff" and he let it go at that.
Oh, I can just imagine your wife, BHarvey , if you took her car and had its glass roof drilled-- even if it was successful; ----- for believe me, I know few of my female friends that would not be beside themselves when you got home.... and if it was not successful?!... OMG ! lets not even go there............... :)
,........................CF

wrath

Geez when I moved to Colorado I was told I wasn't a resident until my glass was chipped or cracked ,it's a right of passage ,my passage was about 2 weeks later when the hail storm took out my rear hatch and put a nice crack in the windshield , i didnt even have Colorado plates yet!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Smiles, Wrath :)
I maybe can do you one better.... I bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler-- less than 10 miles on the odometer---- "Starred" the windshield on the drive home from the dealer
:)

.............................CF

bharvey2

Smiles, Wrath :)
I maybe can do you one better.... I bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler-- less than 10 miles on the odometer---- "Starred" the windshield on the drive home from the dealer
:)

.............................CF

Wow, what luck! You couldn't have done better unless the dealer "installed" one for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.