unusual cllsigns on MWARA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Every once in a while,on MWARA frequencies, (like 8918 or 6577) I hear aircraft callsigns that consist only of four and five digit numbers, instead of something like Delta 345 or Cactus 785, etc.

The number callsigns are just numbers like 1956, 10078.
NO company name , just a number.

At first I thought this was just the ARINC people dropping prefixes like FAA controllers do on VHF when they call say N898DA, "898".

Yesterday I heard NY Radio being called on 8918 by "1956"
No company name, just "1956".
NEW YORK responded by telling 1956 to go ahead and did not ask for a company name.

The traffic handled was your typical enroute data: current location, next planned location, etc.

Anyway, this piqued my curiosity.

What organization are these aircraft who only identify using numbers?

Haley

I have been hearing these the last two days also. NEW YORK is what I was listening too also, heard some on the CAB freq. also. they were giving them Miami contact freq. of 135.2 VHF.

You described the exact same things I have been hearing.

AirScan

Yesterday I heard NY Radio being called on 8918 by "1956"

What time did you hear this and can you confirm the date ? There is a LiveATC feed that covers 8918, might find it in the archives ?

AS

Haley

What time did you hear this and can you confirm the date ? There is a LiveATC feed that covers 8918, might find it in the archives ?

AS

I was listening on 11330, and 11297 yesterday (9-8-18) between 9-11 AM central time (14-16 UTC), in my yard, been trying to remember, the numbers , and that's all they were, but I didn't write them down. Four digit ones were what I heard.

And Friday night (9-7-18), on 8918, and 8906. Again I didn't write them down, just kept thinking it was odd.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help-------I usually listen to the GHFS, and UHF Mil-Air.

Mike

AirScan

I was listening on 11330, and 11297 yesterday (9-8-18) between 9-11 AM central time (14-16 UTC)

I pulled up the archives from 11330 between a 14-16 UTC on the 8th. Reception wasn't the greatest, New York was fading in and out and weak. Aircraft were readable. I didn't hear any flights using only a number for a callsign though ?

It would be very unusual, not to mention a safety issue, to not include some sort of alphabetic company/military/registration callsign before a flight number ? I've never head that anywhere before ?

If you happen to hear it again and can note the exact time and frequency I'll check the LiveATC archives. They cover 6577, 8918, 11330, during the day.

AS

Haley

I pulled up the archives from 11330 between a 14-16 UTC on the 8th. Reception wasn't the greatest, New York was fading in and out and weak. Aircraft were readable. I didn't hear any flights using only a number for a callsign though ?

It would be very unusual, not to mention a safety issue, to not include some sort of alphabetic company/military/registration callsign before a flight number ? I've never head that anywhere before ?

If you happen to hear it again and can note the exact time and frequency I'll check the LiveATC archives. They cover 6577, 8918, 11330, during the day.

AS

I will do that, I had radio overload in the yard I believe. 3 scanners going (Mil-UHF, Mil-Sat, and Mil 380-400), on top of the 2 SW receivers (GHFS and MWARA)-------and my neighbor who seems to have to mow, run the weed eater, or chainsaw, OR anything that creates background noise , only when I am listening of course! I will make sure to have my notepad next time (I usually have one in my bag).

Status
Not open for further replies.