unusual frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Feed Provider
Last night I was using the pro96 in search mode. I live in Seaford I was piciking up 154.22 and which was fire dept and 155.49. I never heard these before anybody have an idea what it could of been I was using the regular duckie

pinetree

I wonder if it could have been what they call ducting. I listened to EMS dispatching from Pottsville PA the same night. Thats about 100 miles by the way the crow flies.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Ducting on East Coast

I will agree with the ducting. I was in Cape May Point, NJ the other day & I was picking up NYC freq's (UHF) on my BC296D with a VHF 9" rubber duck antenna! I was also at Island Beach State Park (South-Central NJ) the day before & was picking up the NJ State Police Troop B (North) TRS with almost a full six bars on top of a sand dune that is 10 ft. high using the same antenna! I also picked up Sandy Hook, NJ (VHF) with no problem as well as other frequencies from the Tappan Zee Bridge, NY (UHF) area with five bars.

de784

Feed Provider
frequencies

it was also 154.445 it came in loud in clear the past two nights but tonight I've been unable to pick any of them up..

hai_akeeba

154.445 is Robbins Hose Co. (City of Dover) re-broadcast 800TRS, their own talk group and Kent Co. fire.
155.49 is an old New Castle County PD frequency and is now used by public works; during the summer months I used to pick up a PD in south Jersey on this channel, usually their auxiliary police units, memory fails me as to their identity.

K3GI

There was a heat inversion Wednesday that caused extensive tropospheric ducting. There was some ducting yesterday also, though not as strong as Wednesday. Wednesday morning I was picking up a repeater in Rhode Island on 2 meters. As the sun comes up ducting usually disappears, but it lasted most of the day on Wed.

Lee, K3GI

de784

Feed Provider
ducting

pretty intresting been scanning for ten years..this is a first for me

Status
Not open for further replies.