BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Unusual Predicament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping I'm not the only Uniden fan who has created this problem. UPMAN, if you're out there, I could really use your help. For some reason I can't recall now, I cloned my newest BCD996P2 from the same model I already had. Without thinking, it appears that not only did it duplicate my codeplug OK, it also transferred the Host scanner's ESN to the Slave scanner. Now, I'm not sure how to secure the DMR/ProVoice upgrade for the Slave scanner because they both have the same ESN. I discovered this when I went to the Uniden website to register the newest scanner, only to have it confirmed that this scanner's ESN had already been registered.

I confirmed that cloning will not transfer the DMR/Provoice capability to another scanner today when I passed through the coverage area of one of the strongest DMR systems in my area. It didn't even connect with any of the five sites on the system.

HELP!!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Try a Master Reset. Turn the scanner off, hold down the '2', '9', and 'hold' buttons then turn the scanner on.

Instead of cloning use software like FreeScan to download from the programmed scanner then program the second scanner from the FreeScan using the program files from the first scanner.

Last edited:

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Good idea - but I've already tried that. The result was that it erased the codeplug entirely and kept the copied ESN. Any other thoughts? I think I'm going into FreeScan and upload a few of my codeplugs and see if by chance whether any of them have the scanner's original ESN.

Thanks for helping!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you getting the ESN from the scanner menu, or by looking at the drive in Sentinel or whatever? What you see in Sentinel is a COPY of the ESN written to the memory card. If you copy the memory card, it will copy the copy of the ESN, but it DOES NOT change the ESN of the scanner itself.

Otherwise you could buy one DMR upgrade key and upgrade every scanner simply by swapping out the memory card from the original scanner.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Jon,

I have a BCD996P2 that doesn't have a "memory card". I'm using FreeScan but also use ProScan sometimes. I don't use Sentinel. So, does your suggestion still work?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Substitute Freescan for Sentinel then. There is a menu in the scanner where you get the actual ESN, not from your programming file. Otherwise you could program multiple scanners with one file and upgrade them all with the same DMR key.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping I'm not the only Uniden fan who has created this problem. UPMAN, if you're out there, I could really use your help. For some reason I can't recall now, I cloned my newest BCD996P2 from the same model I already had. Without thinking, it appears that not only did it duplicate my codeplug OK, it also transferred the Host scanner's ESN to the Slave scanner. Now, I'm not sure how to secure the DMR/ProVoice upgrade for the Slave scanner because they both have the same ESN. I discovered this when I went to the Uniden website to register the newest scanner, only to have it confirmed that this scanner's ESN had already been registered.

I confirmed that cloning will not transfer the DMR/Provoice capability to another scanner today when I passed through the coverage area of one of the strongest DMR systems in my area. It didn't even connect with any of the five sites on the system.

HELP!!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636 (GMRS)

I would double check the ESN by going to the Menu -> Settings -> See Scanner Info - Firmware Version. The 3rd line is the ESN

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
ESN Issue

ProScan,

I've checked - and doublechecked - it several times. I have two BCD996P2's with the same ESN showing in Settings.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Then you should be able to upgrade both scanners with the same DMR and ProVoice keys.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I do not see a way to re-enter a key I've already entered in another scanner - or that same ESN. And Sentinel software won't work - that I can see - on a BCD996P2

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
ProScan,

I've checked - and doublechecked - it several times. I have two BCD996P2's with the same ESN showing in Settings.

What about the tags on the back of the scanners.... do they both show the same serial number?

mancow

Database Admin
Can you enter the dmr or provoice key into the radio with your fingers? That's the question.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I guess I didn't realize that the ESN was imprinted somewhere on the scanner. I believe that if I can determine what the original ESN is, then the registration process will allow me to enter it on the Uniden registration page, and therefore obtain a unique DMR/PV key number. Thanks everyone for reaching out to help me.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have tried several times to duplicate this issue and cannot. When I clone using the rear port from master to slave unit, the ESN reported in the scanner's menu never changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.