• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unusual talk permit tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

I've been hearing some of our radio at work (Baltimore City) and some surrounding radios (also Motorola systems) emitting strange talk-permit tones. The tone itself is similar, but there are FOUR tones ("dit-dit-dit-dit") instead of the standard three. Is there any meaning to this? I also hear in on TV alot on shows like COPS and the like. Along the way at some point, someone told me that this was indicative that the radio was accessing the system through a vehicle repeater, but we don't have VRSs at work in Baltimore.

talviar

I've been hearing some of our radio at work (Baltimore City) and some surrounding radios (also Motorola systems) emitting strange talk-permit tones. The tone itself is similar, but there are FOUR tones ("dit-dit-dit-dit") instead of the standard three. Is there any meaning to this? I also hear in on TV alot on shows like COPS and the like. Along the way at some point, someone told me that this was indicative that the radio was accessing the system through a vehicle repeater, but we don't have VRSs at work in Baltimore.

These aren't by chance XTS 1500/2500/5000 handhelds are they?
Seems to be the talk permit tone that those radios are using.

Can't vouch for the XTL mobiles don't have one close. (Still using a Spectra in my vehicle, other vehicles have XTL mobiles but not mine)

Tony

ocguard

These aren't by chance XTS 1500/2500/5000 handhelds are they?
Seems to be the talk permit tone that those radios are using.

Can't vouch for the XTL mobiles don't have one close. (Still using a Spectra in my vehicle, other vehicles have XTL mobiles but not mine)

Tony

We use a combination of XTS3000 and XTS5000 at work. The vast majority of them have the same standard talk permit tone of three beeps. On only a handful have I noticed the unusual four-beep tone. I have heard it on both the 3000 and the 5000

Last edited:

talviar

We use a combination of XTS3000 and XTS5000 at work. The vast majority of them have the same standard talk permit tone of three beeps. On only a handful have I noticed the unusual four-beep tone. I have heard it on both the 3000 and the 5000

OK just found one of our 2500's
That one does 3 beeps for talk permit tone.

Difference between the 2500's and 5000's. . .
2500's that do 3 beeps are version 7 and 10 for host software on radio and DO NOT have encryption

5000's are version 12 for host software on radio and have ADP Encryption and do 4 beeps.

That's all I can tell you from my stuff here.

Tony

Josh

Oh, I think I know what it is.

The radios are using either the secure tone or the clear tone, depending on whether the radios do this on a radio with encryption enabled or not.

The radio's talk permit tone is unchanged, 3 beeps. The radio adds a fourth beep indicating the radio is either in clear or secure mode on TX.

cucho

Premium Subscriber
Thats exactly what it is. The radios we use my department are encrypted on the PD Dispatch talkgroups but on the Interop Talkgroups they are clear. So when we talk on the disptach talkgroup we get three tones but when we are on the interop talkgroups we get four because of the clear alert tone. It has nothing to do with why type of radio (ie XTS5000, 3000, 2500......) just how they are configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.