Unusually Strange Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a strange question, This maybe easy for some but I've not had any luck, Can anyone tell me something...

I have all of my local frequencies programmed in for my PD/FD's in the county/surrounding area, However, every now and again they will switch to TA or talk around, i can hear this, it appears to be the same frequency just a lower power type thing, However, sometimes they will also say switch to <department name> private channel...Then it goes quiet and I've not found it anywhere...Can anyone tell me what this frequency maybe? Could it be the Frequency INPUT to the repeater, This is what I thought was initially the TA channel but found out it isn't....Wouldnt' these channels have to be in the same range as the usual repeater channel? Does anyone have any idea about that, Or had any luck with that in the past?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

hill

Premium Subscriber
Talk around is many times the mobiles transmitting simplex on the repeaters output frequency. This way the mobiles can still receive calls from the dispatcher when on T/A. It would have to be in the same frequency band that the agency operates on, since commercial two way radios operate in a narrow frequency band. You best bet is to look up in the FCC database or on this site all the frequencies they are licenced on, since the they could use old or channels listed under other divisions in the area like public works. Just enter all the frequencies into the scanner, since some may only be used for very big incidents and this way you will have them ided in advance.

Larry

Patch42

I don't know if this applies, but years ago the county where I lived had a designated channel for car to car communications. It did NOT go through the system repeater. The cars had to be within a mile or so of each other for it to work. If you weren't similarly close, you couldn't hear the conversations on that channel. It was very rare that I'd pick up anything on that one.

Additional: I should have added that this was before the days of trunking. The whole county at that time was conventional analog.

Last edited:

Don_Burke

I have a strange question, This maybe easy for some but I've not had any luck, Can anyone tell me something...

I have all of my local frequencies programmed in for my PD/FD's in the county/surrounding area, However, every now and again they will switch to TA or talk around, i can hear this, it appears to be the same frequency just a lower power type thing, However, sometimes they will also say switch to <department name> private channel...Then it goes quiet and I've not found it anywhere...Can anyone tell me what this frequency maybe? Could it be the Frequency INPUT to the repeater, This is what I thought was initially the TA channel but found out it isn't....Wouldnt' these channels have to be in the same range as the usual repeater channel? Does anyone have any idea about that, Or had any luck with that in the past?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
If you search the FCC database using the frequencies you already know the agency is using, you can come up with the license or licenses they are using.

With that, you can see what other frequencies they are licensed for.

Also use the licensee names you come up with to see what other licenses they may have.

They would not be the first bunch to be using a MURS frequency as a "private channel", so check those.

If that does not do it, it is time for frequency searches.

Bill_White

And….They just might be using a frequency/system licensed to another person or company.
Maybe, one that leases radios and/or maintains the system. ;)

SAR923

10 to 1 it is Nextel. That's becoming the default "private" channel for most departments.

daedalus

TA (Talk Around) is usually a simplex (not repeater) frequency for car to car communications without the entire group listening in (although they can if they are close). It would not be the repeater input frequency since that would activate the repeater. It may be the repeater output frequency and that sounds like what you are hearing. The signal is directly from the car without being repeated and/or amplified through the system repeater.

The so-called private channel is generally another frequency in the same band and may or may not go through a repeater. As others have said, program all of the frequencies listed for the agency and you will probably find it. The search becomes more complex if they are using a frequency not listed for the department. If they go to Nextel there is no hope!

Try posting the question with specific agencies identified in the forum for AR and you may find someone with local knowledge.

Our Highway Patrol uses the repeater output frequency for TA. As the previous poster said, it allows them to still hear the dispatcher, the dispatcher doesn't have to hear their conversation (she usually monitors only the input), and other units more than a few miles away will hear little to none of it. The dispatcher can always clear over them anyway on most systems if needed.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The "private channel" does not necessarily have to be licensed to the city, it may be an unlicensed low power use of any channel in the frequency range of the radios. "Back in the day" Rahway NJ and several surrounding towns' channel 6 was the repeater output of the New York City Sanitation Department.

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend checking with a local public works type channels. I've heard officers use those type channels as the "local" channel when they are not on the main repeater channels.

n4yek

It might also help to tell what city you are listening to, Northeast Arkansas doesn't help anyone on here to give you any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.