UP is falling apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Love_Jr

I have been monitoring my Radio listening to the Omaha Dispatcher 20 and he makes it sound as though the Railroad is falling apart. This d*am cold weather is wreaking havoc with the Railroad. Everything from switches not wanting to lock properly to Locomotives malfunctioning to loosing break pipe air in the train line. Signals malfunctioning. None stop broken rails all over the place. Oh my God it's a mess. And most important. That would suck loosing your heat inside the cab. Especially when the Temp gets down to -15 to -25 degrees. I feel sorry for those crews. I don't know how the BN is doing since my Radio don't reach that far south. I sure this ends soon. Bye.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Allan, you're around the fan sites often enough to read what they have to say so Omaha isn't the only one talking about winter railroad woes. (;->) When you see a rotary plow trying to go through snow deeper than it is high or see one parked with snow 6' deep on top of it, the power unit and the locomotives or when you're sitting there waiting for Hulcher to dig out one in front of you, you know we're having a lousy winter.

I leave you with this to ponder; how can UP be falling apart when everything is frozen solid? (;->)

UP Falling apart? My back is about to fall apart from digging out switches, same with my legs, I'm having to walk through huge drifts to find where the air leak(s) and handbrakes that are tied on are.

Working tonight, and after the snow, 40+mph winds just to rub more salt into my winter weary wounds.

Al Gore, can you explain this "Global Warming" that is currently taking place????

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I have been monitoring my Radio listening to the Omaha Dispatcher 20 and he makes it sound as though the Railroad is falling apart. This d*am cold weather is wreaking havoc with the Railroad. Everything from switches not wanting to lock properly to Locomotives malfunctioning to loosing break pipe air in the train line. Signals malfunctioning. None stop broken rails all over the place. Oh my God it's a mess. And most important. That would suck loosing your heat inside the cab. Especially when the Temp gets down to -15 to -25 degrees. I feel sorry for those crews. I don't know how the BN is doing since my Radio don't reach that far south. I sure this ends soon. Bye.

I LOL'd

UP is not falling apart. This is winter railroading.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I stalled on blair hill in the summer. Not an indication of the railroad imploding.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
UP Is Falling Apart.....NOT!!!

Tried & true very low maintenance railroad snow removal device, may not be "UTU" friendly, but much more dependable than any rotory or Jorden spreader, builds character too.

FLI'LLBEINTHEYARDMASTERSOFFICEUNTILYOUGUYSCLEARTHEMAINLINEMAN

Attachments

• snow-shovel-540.gif
    snow-shovel-540.gif
    11 KB · Views: 848

DPD1

Sometimes these can work OK in yards.

YouTube - Railroad Jet Powered Snow Remover

Problem is, they also throw rocks as well. First time I ever heard of one was way back in the late 70's... EJ&E had one. They were pretty innovative for their size.

Best chance UP had to fall apart was after the SP takeover. What a joke that was. You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing cussing. There was one yard guy I heard have a meltdown over the PBX and started throwing the phone around the office. Hilarious. Trains parked for days and all the containers broken into by the time they moved again, with doors swinging and boxes falling out all over the place. Total chaos.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
UP Falling Apart...........NOT

Dave, that sounds like the best days of "Penn-Central". If a train even showed up, it was a good day. If it didn't, well I'll call in sick today as there is always tomnorrow, I hope. This tower was closed for years & it was still listed as an active interlocking tower until Conrail took over, scary huh? Just another symbol of how up to date PC was with it's mismanagement. In all honesty, I just found this photo in the PC archives, I have no clue about the towers location and/or history, however anybody affiliated with the railroad of the mating worms can relate to the humor in this shot.

FLRAILMAN

Attachments

• newton.jpg
    newton.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:

DPD1

It's a shame to see all that stuff fall apart. Unfortunately the buildings have rarely been documented over the years. Most people focus on the locos. My home road, the EJ&E, was finally gobbled up after over 100 years by the CN. First thing they did was come in and start tearing down every last thing that they could, including the main roundhouse. They once had more towers per mile average than most railroads in the country. Now there's barely any.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
UP is falling apart.......NOT!!!!!

Hulcher

Weren't they listed in the older railroad scanner frequency databases as operating on a VHF low band frequency of 47.??? or somewhere around there? I know that they probably had radios to talk to the home roads too, just a wild guess on that one.

FLRAILMAN

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Railman, there's more than one old timer in the Hudson Valley that remembers how screwy the Penn Central was...a shameful end to an honorable railroad (The New York Central)

FLRAILMAN

Banned
PC, The Poor Railroad That Couldn't Get anything Right

Hey AEMT, Do you remember the New York Central "Concourse Yard" at 149th Street & the Deegan just north of M.O. tower with all those box-cab electrics layed up out in the open? This was before Concourse Village created that overbuild, then if I'm correct, PC pulled up the 3rd rail & used the yard for frieght loading, then the trucks took over & PC tore that up too. Many a night on mids, I used to check my inner eyelids there. Let's see just how old you really are. Do you know the mystery of the old abandoned Putnam Division grade crossing signals that paralled the Saw Mill when it rained? This should be easy for you & HVscan.

PS: End Of The Line. (Photo: Courtesy of the Great Rail Photographer Pierce Haviland)

FLRAILMAN

Attachments

• putdiv.jpg
    putdiv.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 962

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Mabe I should have made up a better Header Title. They stalled because of not enough HP. Plus the snow on the rails isn't helping. Now there gonna send some power from Fremont. Bye Burner.

If its not the cold, then the heat would be a problem, This is all a part of railroading. Just because you cant hear the BNSF doesnt mean that its not happening down there too.

Again, Not a sign of the railroad falling apart. Time for a new horse to kick allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.