Upcoming 900 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a GRE PSR 500, but frankly at my age now I am finding it pretty rough to
program the unit.

Was thinking that the upcoming 900 might be what I would like.
A Base type unit would be better for me now.

Any guestimates as to when it will be released ?

Opinions as to whether it will be "superior" to the Uniden Home Patrol which is out now ?
So many postings on how good it is, and how poor it is, so hard to know.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Another aging member here.

I currenty own the 800, the portable version of the 900. Love everything about it cept volumn while mobile. With a larger speaker, the 900 should be much louder.

Most new radios can be programmed with software. I don't find the software for the 800 any easier than the software I use with the GRE PSR-410 or Uniden BCT15X. All things being equal, GRE radios are usually bout $50 cheaper than Unidens with all the features I need.

If you don't need digital, for a base radio, I suggest the 410. For digital I would go with the GRE PSR-600 or wait a few months for the 900.

BOBRR

From OP:

Hi,

Thanks for thoughts on this.
Appreciate it.

Isn't the 800 "programmed" simply by just plugging in a Card with the full U.S. Database on it ?

What other programming is required ?

What am I missing ?

Was it to the Updating of what is on the Card that you are referring to ?
BTW: how often does GRE issue Card updates ? Is it "easy" to update ?

Best regards,
Bob

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
800 frequency database is updated weekly.

Yes, the 800 comes programmed. I was up and running in 5 minutes. The radio is so easy to tweak for your personal preference though, like most of us you will change many setting via the software. At this point you are addicted to fiddling with this darn thing. What a blast and a lot more fun than yesterday when all we owned was a paperweight till we figured out how to program a new radio.

barovelli

Feed Provider
Hi,

Was it to the Updating of what is on the Card that you are referring to ?
BTW: how often does GRE issue Card updates ? Is it "easy" to update ?

Updates are about once a week. Start the software program and select the dropdown to check for updates.

You then can plug a USB cable into the radio and sync the update or remove the micro SD card and put it in a card reader and update the the database then put the card back.

I've never had problems with updating the radio/card.

Offloading audio recordings have sometimes froze, but closing and restarting the program works.

Status
Not open for further replies.