Upcoming HAM user in Orangeville

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAJ

Hello folks

I'm studying for my HAM license and listening in on the local repeater. I was hoping one of you fine people would know how I can contact the gentlemen from the local HAM club here in Orangeville. I hear them chatting at times on 444.025 but I have no way of contacting them (Aside from on my handheld, which I dare not do without my license).

n5ims

Hello folks

I'm studying for my HAM license and listening in on the local repeater. I was hoping one of you fine people would know how I can contact the gentlemen from the local HAM club here in Orangeville. I hear them chatting at times on 444.025 but I have no way of contacting them (Aside from on my handheld, which I dare not do without my license).

Get the gentleman's call sign when he IDs and look him up in the ham databases that are online (there are several you can find with a Google search). The official FCC database is here --> License Search

That should provide you with their name and address. You can then look him up in your local phone book (or one of the on-line versions), assuming that his number is listed.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Google is not your friend in this case. While Scott may be the licencee of the repeater, he doesn't live in Orangeville as his licence shows. He moved out of the area several years ago.

Checking the FCC database would be pointless for an amateur radio operator in Canada as well. You need to check the Radio Amateurs of Canada webpage.

A quick Google search on Orangeville Amateur Radio brings this up:

"Orangeville

The Dufferin Amateur Radio Emergency Services group is offering the "Basic Qualification" Amateur Radio course for anyone who is interested in obtaining their Amateur Radio Operator Certificate.

The course will be approximately 10 weeks and will run from 7pm to 9pm starting April 22, 2013 in the new Edelbrock room at 30 Centre Street in Orangeville.

The cost of the course is FREE, however the Basic Qualification Study Guide is required at a minimal cost of $45 and should be obtained from https://www.rac.ca/store/coaxpubs.php and reviewed prior to the start date. There is no age restriction for the course, & anyone with an interest in amateur radio can sign up. The Industry Canada Basic Qualification exam will be administered on the last night of the course, and is also provided at no cost.

For further information, contact Jason VE3TYG, ve3tyg@rac.ca"

And with any luck, he'll comment on this thread as he's a member here.

Last edited:

VE3JSO

another way is get the call sign and go to qrz.com you will have to sign up or go to rac.ca and to a call sign search and you will get his mailing address if it is listed

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Get the gentleman's call sign when he IDs and look him up in the ham databases that are online (there are several you can find with a Google search). The official FCC database is here --> License Search

That should provide you with their name and address. You can then look him up in your local phone book (or one of the on-line versions), assuming that his number is listed.

The dude is in Ontario... No FCC jurisdiction there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Here's another one to try:

Orangeville: High Counties Amateur Radio Club, c/o Irwin Henderson, 219 Elizabeth Street, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1C9.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Why not just find out if they have a monthly meeting and attend it? Sometimes face-to-face is best. Plus, the first guy (or YL) you run into may not have the answers but can bounce you to someone at the meeting who can.

MrAJ

Thank you very much for the help guys. I actually lucked out and met VE3WWM at the local blues and jazz festival. He had a display set up for the Dufferin County Amateur Radio Emergency Service and gave me all of the info I needed. I will be writing my exam with those guys next week!

Talk to you all soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.