Upcoming trip to Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Planning on a trip to Sevier County this Sunday & checking the database I see it appears that most everything is still on VHF/UHF? Is this correct? Any local monitoring tips would be appreciated, I'm using a Uniden 996XT & Pro-96

Thanks!
Charles
KI4DCR

jfhtm350

Pigeon Forge Police is (was) on the digital trunking system and can be picked up. Darn near everyone else has went to digital you cannot pick up. Dont remember which digital. From time to time they use the other frequencies you can pick up.

jfhtm350

Pigeon Forge PD is p25 digital trunked, but they more or less stay on the same frequency since they are the only ones on the system.

n4yek

Sevierville Police, Sheriff, Gatlinburg Police and Fire, Pigeon Forge Fire are Nexedge.

As jim has stated Pigeon Forge Police are P25 trunked, most county volunteer fire departments are on the Land Air LTR trunk system, Pitman Center and Seymour Fire still use conventional freqs.

The Smoky Mtn National Park communications are P25 with some encryption.

Any more, a scanner is pretty quiet while monitoring in the county. So much I wish for older times when scanning in the area was nice.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Sevier County has one of the most diverse communications systems I've ever seen (and I don't mean that in a good way). I hate they went to Nexedge, they used to be enjoyable to listen to when I spent the weekend out there.

Props to Pigeon Forge for moving to 700 P25 at least, even if it seems like over-doing it. That will mesh nicely with the statewide system.

Status
Not open for further replies.