• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Upcoming Unication Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospect62

While we’re in this conversation, where is the best deal on a G5 coupled with the best customer service/ best shopping experience? I’m within a week or so of pulling the trigger.

Talk to Hoffman Radio Network, LLC

Also, I would REALLY like to see Unication offer some sort of "convertacom" style device - a mobile type cradle/mount that charges the pager and offers connectivity with an external antenna and speaker. They already have the amplified base, I'm sure they could pretty easily fashion a convertacom off that design.

radio3353

Also, I would REALLY like to see Unication offer some sort of "convertacom" style device - a mobile type cradle/mount that charges the pager and offers connectivity with an external antenna and speaker. They already have the amplified base, I'm sure they could pretty easily fashion a convertacom off that design.

Agreed, but it would have to be of better quality and more realistically priced than their current base offerings IMO.

allen5565

Talk to Hoffman Radio Network, LLC

I talked to a Unication rep last year, suggesting this very thing, that a mobile amplified charger like a ConvertaCom would be a great accessory that allowed for convenient, compact mobile mounting, charging, and simultaneous amplified listening. I asked why they could not reassemble the innards of the G2/3/4/5 amplified charger case, where the pager dock sits on the biggest, broadest face of the unit, and instead jam all that wiring into the case of the G1 charger, which has the dock on the slimmest, narrowest face, next to the speaker. His answer was they want the 2/3/4/5 units to be readable for users while in the docks, and the G1 slim-end configuration would not allow that.

I'm not sure I totally buy that reply as the official Unication stand on the issue, but that's what one salesman told one person, once. Personally, I think the G1 amplified charger configuration, (or, if the company really does insist on the readability issue being a consideration, a somewhat modified G1 version, but still with the dock on the narrowest face, so it can be incorporated into consoles w/out taking up half the real estate,) would be the ideal solution for mobile mounting these units.

Attachments

• G1 Amplified Charger.jpg
    G1 Amplified Charger.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 15

Prospect62

Interesting. I hope to see some development on this idea from them soon. Seems they are so close with the amplified charger, as you point out.

In my area, and where I travel, I always seem to be on the ragged edges of the County’s P25 Phase 2 system (which is otherwise pretty decent) and man would I love to be able to give this G2 access to a roof mounted NMO antenna. I have a Motorola PMAD antenna on my G2 and I’m still missing a lot with this thing in the cup holder. And a nice loud mobile speaker would also help immensely, as you can’t hear the pager even at full volume when traveling with a window down.

Seems the Unication rep you mentioned was still operating under the belief that these things are mainly used as fire pagers, where a user WOULD indeed want to see the screen when the thing goes off. Luckily, with these new firmware releases it seems Unication is coming around to the fact that a large number of its customers are using the G-series as a scanner. Maybe this realization will lead to the development of a convertacom style device.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
Yes mobile convertacom type thing. Maybe just develop a speaker that is better for the devices. If my G4 could have a retrofit speaker installed I would be happy. The device seems like a cadillac but the speaker and overall audio delivery seems like a yugo.

Status
Not open for further replies.