SDS100/SDS200: UPDATE My Nightmare Was ATTN UPMAN, ZIPSCANNER Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

It is coming high time to share my experience with ZIPSCANNERS public.

As you might recall, after constant problems with provoice reception, my SDS100 went deaf after a beta firmware update. TOTALLY deaf. It wouldn't even pick up the National Weather Service. I contacted Uniden and sent the radio back to them for warranty repair. The radio was "repaired" and returned to me with new firmware, database update and a replacement of "J401," an emerging weak link or scapegoat culprit in SDS100 failures.

On powerup, the radio was once again deaf. No NWS, nothing spectrum wide. I even tried talking to it with an FRS radio to no avail. No audio, no bars, no RSSI.

I reached out on the forums and hoping for guidance from UPMAN, to no avail.

Privately, I hear from Jeff, from Ham Station who offers to help rectify the situation. Although he isn't my vendor he provided EXCELLENT advice on how to proceed. He also opens a line of communication with UPMAN as my full upgrade situation could leave me without proper attention.

At Jeff's guidance I reached out to ZIPSCANNERS last Friday afternoon. "Joey" seemed receptive and told me they would exchange the scanner and that he would be emailing me return instructions. Saturday came and went, as did Sunday. Although they profess to be open on weekends with decent hours, I figured I might hear from them Monday-at the latest. (You know, some companies don't have a return department that works on weekends <<Sarcasm mine>>)

Late Monday afternoon, I made several calls to ZIPSCANNERS only to receive their voicemail. I suspected they might have blocked my number, so I called later with caller ID block. Same story. I leave a message.

On Tuesday I called Uniden, explained the situation and they sent me a mailing label, (this time THEY would pick up the tab for shipping, as I did the first time) in the event that ZIPSCANNERS fails live up to their end. -- paranthetically this is ZIPSCANNERS replacing my defective unit vs Uniden looking, investigating, deciding what to do next.

Tuesday goes by, no callback, no email from ZIPSCANNERS (I've also been checking my spam folders the whole time, so they can't use that as an excuse) I am surprised when I get a call from one of their people at 8:21 PM. The caller wasn't Luke and it wasn't Joey, but someone who spoke with a very strong accent.

This caller appeared to be minimally familiar with the situation and said that at this time, THEY needed 24-48 hours to "meet with each other and decide what THEY were going to do," as if ZIPSCANNERS is a leaderless committee of (clueless) people who can not make an independent business decision.

In the spirit of cooperation, I consent, in the hopes that their cranial-rectal inversion rectifies itself. It has been exactly 48 hours since that phone call. No call back, no email from ZIPSCANNERS. (Could they possibly be THAT busy? I think not.)

ZIPSCANNERS has been under constant scrutiny since the release of the SDS100. It is no wonder that my experience with them is a surprise. I will be following up with the Better Business Bureau, as others have and make sure other future potential customers are aware of the comedy of errors, repetitive questionable, unethical business practices ZIPSCANNERS operates under should they decide to roll the dice with them.

Their "lifetime" of free technical support that they boast about is an empty promise, a joke, and smacks of deceptive trade practices.

I will now send my SDS100 to Uniden, again, for them to investigate, analyze and "repair." I would prefer an outright replacement-with ALL updates-as I paid for them, (since a refund is not on the table) with the intent that I sell it as I cannot in good conscience knowingly sell a defective product. To do so, would be to sink to the level of ZIPSCANNERS.

In closing, buyer beware. ZIPSCANNERS has shown their inept business practices not only with me, but others. The RR forums are full of stories about how they do business. On the other hand, I want to thank Jeff from Ham Station. I thank you for your efforts in helping right a wrong--even though you had no obligation to do so. It speaks volumes as to your character, caliber and integrity.

~S~

PS. After Speaking with UPMAN on my behalf, Jeff explained to me the procedure for obtaining replacement keys for ProVoice, NXDN and DMR for replacement radios. I believe after that conversation, the process was disclosed and discussed on another thread.

Last edited:

spotsyrick

I also bought from zipscanners, and was lied to and will NEVER buy from again. It was my first purchase from them, and you know what they say about first impressions...........after reading all the other horror stories it pretty much seals the deal. Won't be a next time for me.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Getting a refund on NXDN and DMR upgrades?

I might be in the same boat with zip scanners. I did buy my SDS100 from them first week of Aug and bought the NXDN and DMR upgrades from Uniden. I since lost 1 of my jobs, getting strapped for cash and was thinking that I might have to return my SDS100, as I still have several other radios that I can live with. The problem is can I get a refund on the 2 upgrades from Uniden since I will be returning the radio? The radio still works fine, nothing wrong with it, just thought it might improve some of the things I listen to, which it does, but I don't have hardly any simulcast sites that give me problems. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
ZIPSCANNERS has been under constant scrutiny since the release of the SDS100.

In closing, buyer beware. ZIPSCANNERS has shown their inept business practices not only with me, but others. The RR forums are full of stories about how they do business.

Knowing all of this, why did you purchase from them to begin with? SDS100's can be purchased from numerous sources.

Last edited:

seth21w

I might be in the same boat with zip scanners. I did buy my SDS100 from them first week of Aug and bought the NXDN and DMR upgrades from Uniden. I since lost 1 of my jobs, getting strapped for cash and was thinking that I might have to return my SDS100, as I still have several other radios that I can live with. The problem is can I get a refund on the 2 upgrades from Uniden since I will be returning the radio? The radio still works fine, nothing wrong with it, just thought it might improve some of the things I listen to, which it does, but I don't have hardly any simulcast sites that give me problems. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

The dmr, nxdn, provoice upgrades are non refundable. Non transferable unless uniden replaces an upgraded model. Your best option will be to sell privately and note the upgrades in your ad.

scrotumola

Knowing all of this, why did you purchase from them to begin with? SDS100's can be purchased from numerous sources.

I purchased it after the first initial wave were sold. At the time, there were no problems known or published about ZIPSCANNERS. My first SDS was the fabled SN 000045 that a friend just HAD to have, so I purchased a second one 3 days after 45 was delivered. When I ordered the second one, ZIPSCANNERS were supposedly still on their initial shipment, but I ended up being one of those who received their clever emails of the radio being admired in packaging and was mailed, yet they had none in inventory.

I later received the second SDS and have had nothing but problems. My friend's SDS? As my luck would have it, works just fine.

~S~

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I purchased it after the first initial wave were sold. At the time, there were no problems known or published about ZIPSCANNERS. My first SDS was the fabled SN 000045 that a friend just HAD to have, so I purchased a second one 3 days after 45 was delivered. When I ordered the second one, ZIPSCANNERS were supposedly still on their initial shipment, but I ended up being one of those who received their clever emails of the radio being admired in packaging and was mailed, yet they had none in inventory.

I later received the second SDS and have had nothing but problems. My friend's SDS? As my luck would have it, works just fine.

~S~

Check you PM I am not finished YET.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
The dmr, nxdn, provoice upgrades are non refundable. Non transferable unless uniden replaces an upgraded model. Your best option will be to sell privately and note the upgrades in your ad.

I have received refunds for all 3 updates from uniden with no problem, when my scanner went crap and I returned it to HRO

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the public report on Zipscanners - I will avoid them like the plague. Seems to me the best option is to go with places like The Ham Station - where you have excellent assistance from someone, who will help you if even if you didn't buy from them!

Mike

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Jeff Rocks, especially since he's technically retired, thats dedication

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Must sell my SDS100

Since I can't return my SDS100 now because I waited to long, I guess the only thing for me to do is sell it. I hate to because it works great, but I guess I would rather eat than listen to scanners. I don't know a fair price, maybe I can sell it for $650.00 which includes the NXDN and DMR upgrades, and the small battery that came with it, and then send whoever buys it the bigger battery when I get it. Would that be fair?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Whats wrong with that? Apple Microsoft & amazon all started in a basement or garage / home based business.
Nothing, except those guys founded their business on service. Apple is a billion dollar company because they have innovative products and support.

What I have seen from ZipScanners is typical of a small business that makes big promises it can't keep. A great website with lots of puffery is meaningless if there isn't any service after the sale. I'll be ordering my SDS100 from HRO. I may pay slightly more, but in 30 years of doing business with them, they've ALWAYS been there long AFTER the sale. That's what matters to me when I pay hundreds of dollars for a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.