UPDATE My SDS nightmare appears to be over

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrotumola

To bring everyone up to speed....

In June I purchased 2 SDS100s from ZIPSCANNERS. One I purchased for a friend and the second for myself. The one I ended up with performed poorly with significantly lacking provoice reception. After several beta firmware updates, my radio became deaf on all bands and made a rhythmic kerchunking noise. It wouldn't even pick up NOAA weather radio and didn't even respond to a FRS radio in the same room.

I called ZIPSCANNERS several times for assistance.... remember, these jokers boast lifetime support for their products. After several days, my calls went unreturned and I contacted Uniden support who had me package my 3 week old scanner up and ship it to their repair depot. (on my dime) A couple of weeks later, it was returned. The repair ticket indicated that its j401 was replaced along with firmware and database updates. I fired it up, and much to my dismay, it was just as deaf as it was when I sent it to them. It was no longer rhythmically kerchunking, it was just 'there.' No NOAA reception, again unresponsive to close proximity FRS. I was livid.

I decided try calling ZIPSCANNERS again, as they had sold me an obviously defective unit. I actually spoke to two people over a two week period and was told that Luke would get back to me, then later that "they" were going to have a meeting to decide "what THEY were going to do." That was the last time I heard from them. PERIOD.

I communicated my disdain here, hoping to hear from Upman, but to no avail. What happened next was a complete shocker.

I received an unsolicited offer of assistance from Jeff (aka Trido) from The Ham Station. Although I had never had the opportunity of dealing with him directly, I was a huge fan of their consignment sales page before they closed down operations. With absolutely NO incentive other than to help, Jeff became my advocate and fortunately, was able to arrange for an inventory exchange. It was by stroke of luck. Jeff went out of his way and with the patience of Job, guided me through the process of getting a replacement radio. He was also able to coordinate with Upman replacement keys as I had all 3 upgrades loaded in my original radio.

Jeff: You are a true Ambassador and treasure to the scanning hobby and community. Even in semi- retirement you went far, far above and beyond to help when you had absolutely no obligation to do so.
I am and will be eternally grateful for your assistance.

The replacement radio is working very well. It's not perfect, but it receives 92-96% of what its brother 486s and 586s pick up here... which is a far cry from what the original did on its best day.

I had considered getting rid of the replacement once it arrived, but the beautiful display is growing on me.

Again Jeff/Trido (and you too, Paul) THANK YOU.

~S~

Last edited:

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Your nightmare is over

Wow! I’ve read through your post with utter disbelief. How you kept your cool is beyond me.

The moderators should make your post a sticky, and preserve it for all interested forum members to see.

The moral of this story for us is Zipscanners don’t live up to there advertisements.,, and Jeff at The Ham Station is the guy that should be rewarded by the forum members when they buy new equipment. Great job Jeff, and great job Upman for your assistance.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Well damn.
I just looked up my email receipt for the date of purchase from them was June 2nd.
Glad I pondered over it for a day before buying cause I would’ve became unhinged.
Glad to see the integrity of three men that had nothing to do with the sale of your product come together to resolve your issue.
Outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4EET

Chaplain
Glad you got things sorted out with some very GOOD people, Jeff (aka Trido) and Paul (aka UPMan). As for ZipScanners, they need to take notice on the problem reports they have here on Radio Reference. Thanks for the report and kudos to you for keeping a level head throughout the ordeal!

Cheers, Dave

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes good to hear happy endings. Enjoy that SDS100! I don't think I've even scratched the surface when it comes to what this radio can do. I have all my systems set and doing good and it's almost like I'm afraid to explore and goof anything up, ya know?

I use my TRX-1 for that lol

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.