Update need for Laurel Ms 39440

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigun220

I'm not sure why they don't encrypt just the special operations and Drug Enforcement and leave Dispatch open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about sending an email seeing if they can't open up the dispatch and run sensitive traffic on a separate encrypted channel. Wouldn't hurt to try, I guess.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
That will require work on their end: Coordinating with MWCC for an new TG's.... Kinda surprised that EPD, LPD, SPD don't have at least 3 each..... Dispatch, Car to Car, Tactical....

Of course if they run TDMA that would cut the number down, just assign say Slot 1 for dispatch, Slot 2 for Tac etc.... Not sure if you can run one slot open, one encrypted or not. Never researched that capability.

dosboot

I see on RR that Ellisville MSWIN is using 700MHZ and Jones County is using 800MHZ why?

INDY72

Jones County converted one of its sites to MSWIN, only one as the surrounding 700 MHz sites gave adequate coverage in addition to the addition of that one of their sites. While Forrest County converted all three of their sites into MSWIN sites for complete coverage, Lee County converted on of its 800 over, and switched its other to 700, and Rankin has fully switched their whole simulcast over. Every County/Municipality does what is best for their area. How Warren, Hinds, Tunica, Washington, and DeSoto, and the other 2/3 will do theirs is still unknown.

dosboot

So the north tower was converted to MSWIN where does this leave the south tower.

INDY72

As an link to the North Tower. It is not an active repeater site any longer.

INDY72

Nope. The Ellisville site is one of the original MSWIN Phase 1 sites built in the first part of the buildout. Phase 1 was South MS. Phase 2 was Central MS. Phase 3 was North MS. The Jones County site is newer in the conversion phase when may are converting their older Motorola or EDACS TRS's over to MSWIN sites as Counties/Municipalities add their own systems for coverage etc. Others that have converted include Forrest County, Lee County, Madison County, City of Madison (Madison withdrew its site from the Hinds TRS, and converted it to MSWIN) and now Rankin County. Others that have signed MOU's and have stated they will be converting include Warren County, DeSoto County, Harrison County (Going to convert its EDACS over). Also eyeing the possibility of conversion are Washington County, and Tunica County. Its an good bet that Hinds County will also as now an second Municipality there (Clinton) is going MSWIN, and an new site being built there.

Conversion is also actually cheaper in the long run to do rather than build out an stand alone P25, as Motorola is discontinuing support of the Smart Net, and Smart Zone type of systems, and Harris is discontinuing support for EDACS thus everyone upgrading to P25. Two notable oddballs being City of Jackson (upgraded its EDACS to an Harris P25ip), and MSU/Oktibbeha County (also upgraded EDACS to P25ip). Also MBCI is building its own P25 TRS covering multiple counties in its reservation complex.

Unknown at this time if MDOC, and Noxubee County will convert their EDACS's over to MSWIN or upgrade to P25ip.

Last edited by a moderator:

dosboot

So Jones co. is using the same group of 800Mhz. Frequencies they used with the analog system?

INDY72

For that site yep. They also use the Ellisville, and other surrounding sites. They have access to the Events TG's etc for interop in large events like hurricane evac and so on. I think the local PD's are "zoned" only for the local area sites, but I believe the SO EMA etc can use any site.

INDY72

Also remember, 700/800 are one band. The 700 MHz is just the lower split. Much like in low UHF you have 450/460, and 500 MHz (in some areas) for Non Fed PS, and 380/420 for Fed (especially for trunking).

dosboot

Another question, what the best antenna to use with MSWIN, I have a 800MHZ but being most freq. are 700Mhz

INDY72

Most ants designed for gain on 800 MHz are also superb for 700 MHz, and 900 MHz (The upper split of the band, primarily used for business TRS's)

The 800 MHz ants area also very good on 380 - 512 MHz.

They are OK on VHF High, but lousy for VHF Low.

In MS, its always good to have VHF High and UHF Low capability, since there are still a LOT of agencies using VHF High, and the primary interop fregs are 154.1600, 155.4900, 155.7300 for those not using MSWIN or UHF. Plus until they get the MSWIN MEDCOM set up in EVERY medical facility, 155.3400, and 463.1750 are still the primary MED Nets.

VHF Low band is now pretty much gone for MS Public Safety, though still sees some use in DPW's etc. 45.2200 is still officially listed as Statewide Low Band for LEA's interop, but you will rarely see it used anymore. Statewide High Band 155.4900 on the other hand will be alive and well for quite some time. As will 154.1600 for Fire.

dosboot

My 800 MHz antenna picked up the Jones Co. FIre Paging fine, but I'm not far from the north tower (as it was called then)

INDY72

Very good. Anytime you want to ask questions about the way MSWIN works feel free to PM, or if you want to talk more personally, I can get you my e-mails, or cell number.

Status
Not open for further replies.