Update on Wethersfield's New TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesct

From what I understand, the new system will be testing as of August 15, 2014, up and in use by the end of August.

A frequency to check would be 856.0625, as that is the new 6th channel.

I will update this thread as I get more information.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if that was a question asking if you need a digital scanner or a statement that you will need one.
Either way, you will need a digital scanner to monitor Wethersfield's new system. Not sure what type of P25 it will be (Phase I or Phase II) so what models of digital scanners will work can't be determined for sure yet.

chris

wesct

Not sure if that was a question asking if you need a digital scanner or a statement that you will need one.
Either way, you will need a digital scanner to monitor Wethersfield's new system. Not sure what type of P25 it will be (Phase I or Phase II) so what models of digital scanners will work can't be determined for sure yet.

chris

I'm assuming it will be a Phase II system, but, Chris is right: Time will tell.

PhillyPhoto

I'm showing 857.0625 for license WQTZ331

It also has 9K80D7W as an emission designator. According to the wiki, thats "P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA (Harmonized Differential Quadrature Phase Shift Keyed modulation – H-DQPSK)" so I think it's safe to say they'll be Phase 2.

Last edited:

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
so the new trunk system for wethersfield will be phase 2? and is the bcd396t going to have a firmware update to be able to receive it? or even the bcd 396xt?

PhillyPhoto

so the new trunk system for wethersfield will be phase 2? and is the bcd396t going to have a firmware update to be able to receive it? or even the bcd 396xt?

More than likely it will be. The only scanners that will decode it are the Uniden BCD436HP & BCD536HP and the GRE PSR800 or the Whistler equivalent, whenever it comes out.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
I do not believe the 396T will get any upgrades. It will not work on phase 2. As mentioned, the only scanners that will receive Phase 2 currently are the 436 and the 536 and the PSR800.

bluefox2163

your right wesct we don't know yet but I hope not because that will be another town lost

PhillyPhoto

wesct - are you able to confirm that 8/15 is still a good date for them to start their testing? I have a receiver setup and parked on the new frequency in UniTrunker just in case they start early :)

PhillyPhoto

I haven't seen anything come across in the past month. I've been using both of my dongles, 1 in SDR and 1 as a source in UniTrunker. I also have it in my 436 as a P25 system, and haven't seen it pop up.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Last I heard (end of Aug or so) was that the racks weren't even installed to start setting up the system.

chris

wfdres23cue

if they are switching to digital, i would imagine that they would do tests? or is it just flip the switch and hope it works???

cg

Premium Subscriber
Both.
Since they will reuse the frequencies they have now, they would use one or two frequencies from the existing system for testing. They then would likely add frequencies as more agencies made the switch.
The Motorola system needs a minimum of two freqs to work, I believe that the Harris needs only one as the CC can change to a voice channel when needed.

chris

wesct

Update: The new (6th) site installation has been delayed because of a weight study on the roof of the building. I'm not sure when the testing will happen, as the town has ordered new vehicles as well. Currently, some cars are using ht's instead of the new mobile radios.

wfdres23cue

Update: The new (6th) site installation has been delayed because of a weight study on the roof of the building. I'm not sure when the testing will happen, as the town has ordered new vehicles as well. Currently, some cars are using ht's instead of the new mobile radios.

So wethersfield has been using Harris radios or there Motorola's. Also if they switch to the harris system the motorolas wont work anymore???

cg

Premium Subscriber
They were Motorola, new system is Harris I believe. New Harris radios will not do the old proprietary Motorola TRS. They could probably do what New Britain did and start on the CSERN system patched to their old system then switch over when their new system is ready but it takes permission, reprogramming and coordination. Coverage would likely be great for mobiles and then use the old portables on old system. Patched together, it should work fine.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.