Update to N9JIG Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have cleaned up my mobile install by deleting a rarely used 4th scanner and a VHF mobile. This makes for a much less cluttered install and makes it easier for me to view my APRS screen.

Here is the radio stack. The rack is a Troy Command Console I found at a hamfest a while back. Since they don't make floor plates for a Honda Odyssey I used the one I got with the console. I think it came from a Chevy Impala or Ford Crown Vic, but regardless I had to trim off the left side mounting tabs.

From the front to rear are the following radios:

Kenwood TM-D700 (actually mounted on the retractable cupholder). This a dual band ham rig used for APRS and chit-chat.
Uniden BCD-996D digital scanner (Used mostly for StarCom21)
Uniden BC-15 scanner (Used mostly for aviation and CloseCall)
Uniden BC796D scanner (used mostly for Police/Fire and rail)
CSI CD-1 PL/DPL/DTMF decoder (Connected to the 796)
Motorola CDM1250 UHF High transceiver (Used mostly for GMRS and my work channels)

On the right side is a Garmin GPS receiver. This feeds the APRS as well as both the BC15 and BC996 scanners. I built a wire harnass that connects the GPS data to the proper pins for the various radios and it handles all of them with no problems.

Unseen is a Stridsberg 4 port wideband multicoupler. This feeds the 796 and BC15, the 996 has it's own antenna. On the rear panel of the console are an RCA jack that allows me to connect to the discriminator of the 796 for the occasional mobile Trunker or ATCS use as well as a BNC connected to an unused port on the Strids in case I bring an extra scanner on a trip. Under the console are serial cable extensions for the BC796 for programming and control as well as for the GPS for the occasional use with a laptop (Since my car has a built-in GPS nav system I don't need to use my laptop as much for navigation)
Car2.jpg

Since I always see Antenna picture requests...:

Here are the antennas! From left to right as we look from the front of the van are:

Dual Band rubber antenna from Comet (Works great on 2M and 440!)
VHF Quarterwave (Feeds the Stridsberg then the BC15 and BC796)
800 Gain (for the 996)
UHF Quarterwave (for the CDM1250)
The little radome is the GPS and XM antennas for the Nav/Entertainment system in the van. The Garmin GPS antenna is actually mounted inside the van on the pillar between the from and rear doors behind the seatbelt hanger. It is out of the way, invisible, and works fine.

Ant2.jpg

Here is a closer view of the antennas. They are all NMO mounts. I was kind of limited as to where I could install them due to the various systems in the ceiling of the van, including the DVD system, airconditioning ducts and side airbags.
Car2.jpg

wise871

Database Admin
N9JIG
As always, I look forward to the pictures you post of your setups. Nice, clean and functional. I wish I could have a 996 and 15 in my vehicle. Maybe one day.
Dan

Croaker90

Why do people put so many scanners in their cars?

Is it for your job?

I mean, I have a small shack in my room, I just carry my Pro-97 handheld in my car. Seems to me like it would be confusing having all those scanners going.

And the police would be suspecious of you if I got pulled over probably lol.

Nice setup in the end tho. No wires are visable at all.

5/5

lol some people like that many scanners. personally I'll probably have one scanner and two radios or so (one for normal ham activity and one dedicated to skywarn) but at the same time I can't talk bad about a really clean setup. That's really nice

N9JIG

Sheriff
Croaker90 said:
Why do people put so many scanners in their cars?
Is it for your job?
I mean, I have a small shack in my room, I just carry my Pro-97 handheld in my car. Seems to me like it would be confusing having all those scanners going.
And the police would be suspecious of you if I got pulled over probably lol.
Nice setup in the end tho. No wires are visable at all.
5/5

A valid question to be sure. I use each of the scanners almost every time I drive. The 996 is used almost exclusively for monitoring the statewide digital trunked system, the BC15 is used almost exclusively for CloseCall operations and the 796 is used for general listening. The Motorola is used for my work channels and GMRS.

I am not worried about police issues, I am the police...

Last edited:

firetaz834

I noticed your motorola was programmed for GMRS, how active is it in your area (I assume from your URL that your in the chicago area?)

N9JIG

Sheriff
GMRS In Chicagoland

firetaz834 said:
I noticed your motorola was programmed for GMRS, how active is it in your area (I assume from your URL that your in the chicago area?)
I am usually on a repeater on 462.725 (100.0) out of Evanston (U-Comm) or 462.675 (107.2) out of Park Ridge.

This radio is also used for my various UHF-T band work channels as well as our multi-channel PW and Utilities operation.

mjthomas59

N9JIG said:

I just have to laugh when i hear people say that. Not because the quote isn't true, it just reminds me of a Sergeant i know who walks out of convenience stores with free drinks and what not and always says "who are they gonna call?? The Police?!"

Beyond that i must say that is a very sweet setup. No wires, perfectly functional, and serves your needs. Just curious what kind of speaker setup you are using to hear each different radio. I would have to imagine that audio quality isn't all that great using an internal speaker with it being mounted inside the console like that.

Also, how do you like that stridesburg, i've been contemplating one for a while because i don't want an antenna farm on my car but i like the idea of having more than 1 scanner while mobile.

Thanks and great job!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Guys like that give us all a bad name.

Not visible in the picture are 5 small remote speakers (Valor's I think...) that are on the front of the console. 1 each for the 3 scanners, and 2 for the TM-D700. The Moto has a front firing speaker and that works fine.

The Stridsberg is fantastic. I have 4, 3 at home and the one here in the van. The pre-amp covers the line loss of the connectors and jumpers and I have no issues with the radios interfering with each other.

hydrolocked

Rich - just out of curiosity (and simplicity?) - why 2 speakers for the D700? If you use the audio setup modes, having a speaker plugged into jack #1 will play both band's audio through the same speaker while also muting the internal speaker.... just saves you one speaker.

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
mjthomas59 said:
I just have to laugh when i hear people say that. Not because the quote isn't true, it just reminds me of a Sergeant i know who walks out of convenience stores with free drinks and what not and always says "who are they gonna call?? The Police?!"

I just think of Farva.

he had a *****in camaro:cool:

xpawel15x

N9JIG said:

You are no longer the po-lice when you're off duty. Same rules apply to everyone, even off duty police officers. lol. Sorry I just hate cops who think they have special privileges after they finish their shift.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some of you guys must be missing the humor of his post :D

Besides, he didn't say a thing about shooting any dogs before a raid :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.