Updated firmware, still no sound sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Hello,

I recently updated my pro 197 firmware, but I still am having a issue of no sound, vet I have signal in my talkgroup , It shows the agency, LED flashes, but no audio. Also the same with my Pro 96. Any suggestions

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is literally impossible to diagnose without knowing what system(s) you are having the problems, and whether you are using software to do your programming. It would also help to know where you are (county/state is fine). Are you using an outdoor antenna? Which one? Which coax and how long?

My first guess would be a poor signal strength issue, but without knowing more...Mike

n5ims

Could be several things like ka3jjz states. If you could provide a link from the page in the RR database (like this Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies) to the system you're attempting to hear and the displayed talkgroup that has no audio, it should be helpful.

One thing that would easily explain what's going on is if that talkgroup is encrypted (the RR database would show it having a Mode of "E"). The Pro-197 will mute the audio for encrypted talkgroups so you don't have to listen to the digital noise. I believe that the Pro-96 also mutes encrypted talkgroups.

emt_531

I am having the same issue with my Pro 96 and I am listening to conventional frequencies, no talk groups or anything like that. It will be working and then all of a sudden it wont pick up anything. When I take out the battery and essentially reset it, it will work fine. Sometime it works for a while and sometimes it has to be done often. I have the original firmware on it and thought it may be that, but that sounds like it is not the case. It is definitely not a reception issue, at least not here. And nothing I listen to is encrypted.

emt_531

This is my personal opinion based on what I have observed. I think this issue has something to do with the BNC connector moving around. I have had to go back in a resolder mine because it was only touching the board sometimes. When the antenna moves around, this happens (loss of signal). I dunno if it is causing some sort of short, but that is my best guess. If I leave the scanner in one place without moving it around, the problem happens less frequently. Just some food for thought....

pob329

Light but no audio

I have the same problem with my Pro-197, Pro-106, and GRE psr500. This started after I reprogrammed for rebanding. I have the custom table entered. My Pro-164 does not have the no audio issue. This NOT a signal strength issue. I am suspicious that the scanners are being directed to the wrong trunk frequency. Hopefully a solution will be soon found as this is very annoying. I use Starrsoft software.
-james

kruser

Premium Subscriber
One thing that would easily explain what's going on is if that talkgroup is encrypted (the RR database would show it having a Mode of "E"). The Pro-197 will mute the audio for encrypted talkgroups so you don't have to listen to the digital noise. I believe that the Pro-96 also mutes encrypted talkgroups.

Of the GRE made radios, only the PSR800 will mute encrypted talk.
That is my biggest gripe with the GRE made radios is that they do not mute the encryption noise.

The Unidens are the only ones that truly mute an encrypted comm and also skip over it when detected. The PSR 800 will mute the audio if you selected that option but it will still stop scanning and hang on that channel (or talkgroup) until the carrier drops. It works but can cause you to miss comms on other channels or talkgroups. The way Uniden does it is the proper way as it skips right over it and keeps on scanning.

I think maybe what you are seeing is that some of the programming software (maybe all) will simply not program talkgroups with the E flag set as they are encrypted all the time so no sense in including them.
A P25 system here uses encryption on any of its talkgroups but it is only assigned to certain radios.
When you monitor that system with the Pro-106, 197 or GRE PSR500 or 600, you WILL hear the encryption sound as there is no way of turning it off or skipping over it. This makes for some very annoying monitoring of this system so I will not use the GRE made radios for this very reason even though they do a better job at decoding the system over the Unidens as it is also a simulcat system.

If someone mistakenly set the E flag here in the database for this system, you would never hear anything as it would simply not program the talkgroup when using a software app. I think some if not all do allow you to still select the E flagged talkgroups so they are programmed.
On the Unidens, all you need to do is sit on a talkgroup in the Hold mode and it will show ENC in the display when it is receiving an encrypted comm.
Not true on the GRE made radios, they will stop scanning and pass the encrypted audio out to the speaker. The GRE made PSR 800 or whatever the radioshack version is are the only exceptions for GRE made radios.
Those can be set to simply mute the encrypted audio, sound a tone and one other sound maybe like a busy signal I think but the scanner still stops scanning until the signal is dropped or you hit a button to force it to scan again.
Being as the PSR800 can detect and mute encryption really makes me wonder why they did not also add in a setting to allow the radio to also continue scanning is beyond me.

Now with all that said, if you have a way to make the PRO106, 197 or PSR500, 600 mute encryption when it sees it, please tell me how!

I really think your software simply did not even program those talkgroups and that is why you do not hear it. Ot it did but it also locked them out for you. Neither would work here as then I'd hear nothing. Most of the talk on this system is in the clear with maybe 5% being encrypted but that 5% will cause you to turn the radio off after hearing it for just a few minutes.

edit: the Pro-96 also passes the encryption sound to the speaker just like the 106, 197 and 500, 600 do.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem with my Pro-197, Pro-106, and GRE psr500. This started after I reprogrammed for rebanding. I have the custom table entered. My Pro-164 does not have the no audio issue. This NOT a signal strength issue. I am suspicious that the scanners are being directed to the wrong trunk frequency. Hopefully a solution will be soon found as this is very annoying. I use Starrsoft software.
-james

Just watch the display and see what frequency is showing when the scanner stops and you hear no audio. You may need to tick or untick a box in Win500 or the scanners menu to get it to alternate the talkgroup name and tuned frequency but once setup to display the tuned frequency, this will show you right away if your suspicions are correct or not.
If your custom tables are not setup correctly, the display will show the incorrect frequency. I think the logging feature of Win500 will also log the actual frequency that the radio is tuning too so just compare that with the database frequencies and if you see oddballs in the radios display or in the Win500 log, your custom tables are entered wrong or the system is not setup to use the custom table.

edit: if the radio is showing the correct frequency, you may be a victim of multipath distortion preventing the radio from decoding the datastream. There are no signal strength meters that will tell you if that is the problem or not.

Last edited:

dwayne0564

Re: Thread Firmware, still no sounds

Ok, I talked to one of the guys here in the Dayton area, and Montgomery county is having issues with their rebanding, picking up false signals, City of Dayton is Fine, but Montgomery County is the issue. But the interestering thiing is that the Uniden, My 396T and even my old 250 D, with a digital card, can differentate the signal. So Is it something with the GRE based scanners having the issue, Any thoughts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.