Updated UL Article - Manchester PD Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
My question would be does the Union Leader, WMUR or other media outlets have access to the MPD radio system? The media is made up of private citizens just like the rest of us and have no business having access if we can't.

And why would Fire Encrypt? The info listed is almost never transmitted on Fire Channels. And when it is, it's to given to the cops to handle.

n1das

I think we knew this was coming and it was just a matter or time.

I remember when Nashua went to their first 800MHz Motorola trunked system (WPPF224, Sys ID 7C25) in 2001. The voice channels had P25 and analog. Control was 3600 baud to support P25 and analog modes. The PD and FD used P25 and public works was analog. The PD detective's TGs were encrypted while the regular beat cop TGs were in the clear, following the same protocols from their old UHF system. For a while during that time, the PD was under the impression that nobody could monitor them on the new system. That was until Uniden announced their first P25-capable scanners in 2002, the BC250D and BC785D (later replaced by the BC796D). At the time, there were no other P25-capable scanners on the market. Nashua's police chief was bull-<expletive> about it after seeing Uniden's press release. A friend of mine who knew a few of the officers noticed their general attitude toward the public from a PR standpoint went downhill while they thought nobody could listen to them. They probably also experienced a lack of help from the public in solving crimes. The BC250D handheld and BC785D base/mobile started shipping in January 2003 and I grabbed a BC250D and my parents down in Virginia grabbed a BC785D. This friend of mine also mentioned his brother getting harassed once by the PD regarding listening to them on his BC250D. The PD was very scanner un-friendly during that time.
The 800MHz system has since been replaced by a new 800MHz Motorola P25 trunked system (Sys ID 5C6) and fortunately the routine PD TGs are still unencrypted, at least for now.

Nashua PD seems to do it the right way. They are among the more professional sounding PDs I've listened to over the past 40 years of scanning. They are always VERY careful about what they do and don't say over the air. I seldom hear any names given over the air at all. They know very well that the airwaves are public and the world has ears, including the criminals. The detective TGs are encrypted full time but the regular beat cop TGs are not. Licenses and MV registration stuff are handled over the computer in each car so you don't hear that stuff like you did years ago on the old UHF system. Overall you hear very little information if any that criminals could take advantage of.

For my own radio communications, I have also taken to securing them too. For local on-site simplex type operations with family and friends, I use Motorola 900MHz DTR and DLR series radios. They work excellent and are a nice professional quality digital alternative to GMRS for local simplex ops. While technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure. They are also not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver (scanner) because of the FHSS operation and VSELP digital modulation. When my wife and I are out of range, we use a PTT over Cellular (PTToC) app on our ruggedized smartphones. When I want other people to hear me, I use analog on GMRS/FRS and MURS and analog and DMR on the ham bands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.