updates for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello what will happen to the future updates for radioshack scanners if there are sold, im thinking about getting the pro-197 on sale for 399.00, but i dont want to get this without knowing what would happen to the future updates for these scanners will gre take the updates over or will they just dissapear. looking for some answers out there if any one has any. so should i save my money or is it safe to get the pro-197 i already have a cable that came with my gre-500 so i dont need another cable. thanks for any help on this

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I wouldn't bank on getting much support from Radio Shack now or in the future as far as firmware updates are concerned, in particular if you're concerned with the company being sold per the latest rumor mill. It takes them months as it is to release the GRE firmware updates, and there are plenty of scanners they have simply stopped supporting altogether even after support was implied or promised for those particular models. If ensuring timely firmware updates and future service and support is a high priority for you, you'd probably be better off buying a GRE or Uniden model, rather than the Radio Shack branded counterpart. If saving money is your top priority, then I suppose the savings are worth the risk.

This is just my 2 cents based on past Radio Shack support (or lack thereof). Of course, no one can ever say for certain what the future will hold.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the last post. The updates take forever from Radio Shack! If I knew 10 months ago what I know now I would have never went to Radio Shack for my scanner needs. I am trying to sell my 106 so I can go buy a 500!

kilowa22

hello what will happen to the future updates for radioshack scanners if there are sold, im thinking about getting the pro-197 on sale for 399.00, but i dont want to get this without knowing what would happen to the future updates for these scanners will gre take the updates over or will they just dissapear. looking for some answers out there if any one has any. so should i save my money or is it safe to get the pro-197 i already have a cable that came with my gre-500 so i dont need another cable. thanks for any help on this

The PRO-197 is not on sale that is the permanent web only price.It would be up to GRE if they want to continue supporting the 106/197 radios. I don't foresee any major upgrades for the radios over the next several years. All the rebanding programming has been done, so you could miss out on possible minor upgrades of the radios. I don't see the lack of any minor upgrades on the radios as being a hindrance to buying one today.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
kilowa22, you are 1/2 right. the $399 is the in store price also. We changed our in store price tags on Thursday.

SOFA_KING

The latest PSR500/600 update is a good one, and new features are really worthy of an update. I hope Radio Shack...or "The Shack" (whatever) provides an upgrade! If they go out of business I hope GRE steps in and gives us what we need.

tes151

The latest PSR500/600 update is a good one, and new features are really worthy of an update. I hope Radio Shack...or "The Shack" (whatever) provides an upgrade! If they go out of business I hope GRE steps in and gives us what we need.

I think it would be in the best interests for GRE to help us, because if RS goes away, they will probably inherit a lot of the scanner customers. That would turn into more sales for them.

SOFA_KING

I think it would be in the best interests for GRE to help us, because if RS goes away, they will probably inherit a lot of the scanner customers. That would turn into more sales for them.

Agree. GRE makes a fine product. They need to keep us happy so we keep coming back.

mbs0113

I e-mailed GRE over the weekend and received a response from them this morning that i would like to share with everyone...

My E-Mail to GRE

I own a Radio Shack Pro-106 and with all
of the talk of Radio Shack being up for sale
and their really long delay for providing
their customers with updates to the
scanners that run the software your
company created. Im writing to ask if you
guys would be able to start releasing the
update for the Pro-106 if I had known
Radio Shack was going to be this way I
would not I have bought the Pro-106 I
would have bought the PSR-500. These
products and software are really nice and I
really enjoy using them I just would like to
be able to have access to all the update
and new features when they are released...

Thanks,
Brandon

Their Response

Brandon,

Thank You for contacting GRE.
Unfortunately due to our OEM agreement with Radio Shack, we are not permitted
to release Firmware updates directly.

RS does have the latest firmware release and would make these available to public.

However GRE has no control these matters directly. Please contact RS customer
service for support on any OEM GRE Scanners that are purchased from them.

Regards,
Raj Gounder

If Radio Shack gets bought out does the OEM agreement go away or change?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Ok Everyone, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. rumors of radio shack being sold have been around for 20 plus years. The latest round of rumors are just that.

Somebody would have to come up with over $3 billion to buy the company. The Shack has over $900 million in cash reserves and continues to trade around $22 a share.

One idea is for Radio Shack to partner with Google, HTC, Apple, Samsung, and anyone else who wants to party; sell mid-range and/or premium mobile devices, unlocked, directly to consumers.

John_M

RS has to make some minor changes in the updates they receive from GRE. Then they have to test the the updates. When they get done testing we will see them posted on the RS website. It doesn't hurt to send them emails to give them some motivation.:)

mbs0113

I think Radio Shack may be changing how they handle customer e-mail I also e-mailed Radio Shack last week asking about the update and this was their response.

My E-Mail:

GRE Updated its scanner and I would like to know when this update will

be passed along to our Pro-106's

Thanks,
Brandon

Their Response:

Thank you for contacting RadioShack.
Unfortunately, we no longer offer any type of technical, or product
support from this office.
Please visit your local RadioShack store near you for more hands-on
assistance with your product.

You can also visit our website for additional information, just click
on the link below and click on the Product Support tab.

PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

Thank You
oscar
Customer Escalation Team

InlandAZ

I agree with the last post. The updates take forever from Radio Shack! If I knew 10 months ago what I know now I would have never went to Radio Shack for my scanner needs. I am trying to sell my 106 so I can go buy a 500!

And the stock holders are trying to sell RS :)

They've been in hard times before, and I've always stuck with them - but this is more than even I can handle.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
And the stock holders are trying to sell RS :)

They've been in hard times before, and I've always stuck with them - but this is more than even I can handle.

Thats interesting since the stock is close to a 52 week hige at $22 plus a share. Last year at this time, it was at 1/3 the value around $8 a share

Status
Not open for further replies.