Updating 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DUO

I have a 996T that is about 5 years old. It has never had the firmware updated. It has version 1.02
I believe. I want to do the upgrade but the Uniden website isnt real clear. I see this update:

BCD996T_UASD_v1.0.12.0.exe 1.0.12.0 BCD996T Uniden Advanced Scanner Director 16.9 Mb 07/25/2006
which talks about giving you a registration key. Do I need to do this?

Then the firmware update I believe I need is this one:

If your scanner is at version 1.03.11 or earlier:

1.Download: BCD996T_V1_04_12.zip and BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.zip
2.Unzip, then run BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.exe to intall the updater software. (If you previously installed a version of BC_VUP, be sure you delete the old install files before reinstalling. These files are in a "BCSS" directory.)
3.Unzip BCD996T_V1_04_12.scn and save it to a place you'll be able to easily find (like your Desktop).
4.Run the BC_VUP application. When prompted, select the BCD996T_V1_04_12.scn file you saved in Step 3. Follow all other on-screen instructions to complete the update. Since this is not a major update, no registration key is required.
5.Proceed to the next section.

Is this all I need to do, or will I need to do this update also:

If your scanner is at version 1.04.12 or later:
1.Log in at myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
◦If your scanner has not yet been registered, click on "Register a Product" and add your scanner, including its ESN and checksum.
◦If you have previously registered your scanner, update its registration (if necessary) to include its ESN and Checksum.
2.On your "All My Scanners" page, click "Get V3 Registration Key" next to the scanner. Make a note of the key assigned to the scanner (it will also appear on your "All My Scanners" page).
3.On your "All My Scanners" page, click "Get v3.xx.xx Firmware." (This will not appear until you get a key.) Alternatively, you can download the udpate by clicking BCD996T_V3_02_00.zip and download the latest version of the firmware updater by clicking BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.zip.
4.Unzip both of the files you downloaded in Step 3 to your desktop. Then run BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.exe to install the firmware updater. (If you previously installed a version of BC_VUP, be sure you delete the old install files before reinstalling. These files are in a "BCSS" directory.)
5.Run the BC_VUP application you installed in Step 4. Follow all on-screen instructions. If you are updating from version prior to V3.00.00 you must enter the V3 Registration Key when prompted. If you are updating from V3.00.00 or 3.01.00 to this version, you do not need to enter the key. When prompted, select the BCD996T_V3_02_00.scn file you unzipped in Step 4.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Forget the UASD entirely. It's way out of date and there are packages out there (some are even free) that blow the functionality away.

You are correct about what you need - the firmware updates. They are a royal pain in the arse, but unfortunately if your area is going to go through rebanding, you will need this update, like it or not. I haven't done this in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure you need to start at the point where you register the radio (I'm sure UPMan will come and correct me...). It's a very unpleasant process, and a lot of folks have had to do a couple of visits to the dentist because of nashing of the teeth (hi). In addition we have an article in our wiki devoted to the subject...

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

good luck...Mike

K9DUO

Wow. Thanks for the update. Do I need to go thru the process of doing both updates? Also how to I go thru the registration process?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I *think* - I would wait for UPMan to confirm it - that you would need to do the registration process, then do the update one time. If memory serves, all the updates are cumulative - so if you update to the latest and greatest firmware you would have all the updates at one time. The process of the updating didn't change significantly - if you were to substitute the version 3 zip file for the 1.04 one you have in your message, it should work.

As to how to do the registration process - that part, if I recall rightly, was pretty painless. You're prompted for various things like the serial number on the radio, and I believe the date of purchase - I would have those 2 items at a minimum...

I think...how 'bout it Paul, did I get that right? Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I believe you need to do the updates two times. I think version 1.04.12 contains a decompression algorithm that all later versions require if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So I need to go thru the whole process to do version 1.03.11 and then do 1.04.12?

Yes, I believe you need to update to 1.04.12 and then to 3.02.00

In other words, do both sections.
If your scanner is at version 1.04.12 or later

Last edited:

motorolax

Yes, I believe you need to update to 1.04.12 and then to 3.02.00

In other words, do both sections.
If your scanner is at version 1.04.12 or later

Yes you are correct proscan. I have done a few of these in recent weeks.

K9DUO

Well it wont let me update for some reason. I keep getting this message:

This scanner is not an object for BC.
Rewriting is impossible.

Anyone have any clues?

K9DUO

Nevermind my last. Just as others have said, you have to pay close attention. I wasnt doing it right. I was trying to download the wrong file. I have it done now and all appears to be ok...

K9DUO

Ok, I absolutely give up. I have updated this 996T with all the latest updates. Its showing the most current firmware version. However it will not pick up a particular P25 system. I load the program in my scanner, and it works fine. When I load it into my friends scanner, it wont track the P25 system. Gets absolutely nothing. Nada. Picks up other P25 systems just fine. Just wont get this particular one. I dont know where to turn next.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be helpful to know *what system* you are referring to. Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over Database, select Frequency Database then use the various pulldowns and maps to find your system. C'mon back with the URL and we can go from there

Mike

K9DUO

Uh oh. I think I know what the problem is. If I remember right when I was programming my 197, I had to program it as a Type II, not P25, God I feel so stupid.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In addition, since I see there are 3 or 4 freqs with 0 in the 4th decimal, you will need to use the custom table as described in the Uniden TWiki to track this system correctly

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you read the TWiki, I suspect you'd have your answer. How you do that in ARC996 I don't know, but your first task is to change the site type...you can read the rest...look at the bottom of...

BCD996T Firmware Update- the Uniden TWiki

This is, of course, assuming you have the most recent version of ARC996 - if not you should download and install it...

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.