Updating a PSR-500/600

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

1. Determine which type (Canadian or USA) of PSR-500/600 you have: while holding down the PROG or PGM key, turn the scanner on. You should see a line of text in one of the following forms:
uP Boot Ver:F1.0 Type "a"
uP Boot Ver:F1.1 Type "a"
uP Boot Ver:F1.4 Type "b"
uP BootVer:CF1.3 Type "c"

The GRE America web site has different CPU downloads for USA and Canadian scanners. The Canadian versions are generally indicated with a 'C' in the download filename or link.

For type "a" and type "b", you have a USA-version PSR-500/600 scanner. You need to download the "non-C" version of the updater firmware. The file you download will contain two "CPU Updater" EXE files: one for type "a" and one for type "b". Which EXE file you need to run depends on the boot version listed above - the appropriate boot versions are generally included in the EXE filename.

For type "c", you have a Canadian-version PSR-500/600 scanner. You need to download the "C" version of the updater firmware. The file you download will contain only one "CPU Updater" EXE file, since there is only one "boot flavor" for the Canadian PSR-500/600.

For example, when updating to CPU version 1.8, if you see uP Boot Ver:F1.4. you need to download the non-C version of the CPU update firmware. Within the downloaded ZIP file, you need to run "CPUUpdater_PSR-500-600-BootF1.4_U1.8.exe

RKG

The are two upgrades: the DSP processer and the uP firmware. Does it matter in which order the upgrades are implemented?

DiGiTaLD

The are two upgrades: the DSP processer and the uP firmware. Does it matter in which order the upgrades are implemented?
I didn't see anything in the documentation that comes with the downloads that says anything about it. It seems they are independent of one another. FWIW, I installed the CPU firmware upgrade first, followed by the DSP firmware upgrade. No problems here. The radio now follows patches correctly on P25 systems. Very cool!

TES

I didn't see anything in the documentation that comes with the downloads that says anything about it. It seems they are independent of one another. FWIW, I installed the CPU firmware upgrade first, followed by the DSP firmware upgrade. No problems here. The radio now follows patches correctly on P25 systems. Very cool!
A careful look at the GRE America site shows the following: "3) If you are upgrading both the CPU and the DSP code, we recommend upgrading
the CPU code first."

Firmware Download Instructions

GTO_04

A careful look at the GRE America site shows the following: "3) If you are upgrading both the CPU and the DSP code, we recommend upgrading
the CPU code first."

Firmware Download Instructions

Ooops. I missed that part. I downloaded the DSP first, everything seems to be OK now. I had to do some trial and error with the CPU part, apparently I picked the wrong version, b instead of a. What determines the uP boot version, when the scanner was manufactured?

GTO_04

mikey60

What will happen if I put the GRE upgrade onto my 106?(same radio).

You would probably have to go back and install the latest available RS updates, since the process may erase the current firmware from the radio, making it a "brick" until you do so. Wait for the updates from RS... The GRE updates will not work in the 106.

Mike

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
When I purchased my GRE PSR 500, I bought it for the cheapest price I could find; however, this backfired on me. But, I learned a valuable lesson from this. This online store sold me a Canadian model. I did not learn this until I sent it into GRE for repair. They reversed the repair and sent it back to me. Hence, I unknowingly operated this radio for nearly one year. Luckily, the store kept their word and replaced it with an American model.

Status
Not open for further replies.