Updating unit failed. The file 'BCD436HP_V1_26_00.bin.tmp' already exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpalmer

I am trying to update the firmware on a BCD436HP. I have the Sentinel software installed on a laptop. It connects to the radio with no problem; it's even showing me right now that the current firmware version is 1.01.01.

Each time it starts updating the firmware, the top progress bar gets about halfway across, then it stops and a warning box pops up: "Updating unit failed. Operation is canceled. The file 'D:\BCDx36HP\firmware\BCD436HP_V1_26_00.bin.tmp' already exists."

The first time this happened, I went into File Explorer and sure enough, that file was already there. So I deleted it, restarted the software, and started the firmware update again. But I got the same error.

How do I get past this?

Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• Updating unit failed 06-17-2020.PNG
    Updating unit failed 06-17-2020.PNG
    258.1 KB · Views: 15

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
USB can be a tricky devil.
If you are connecting via USB with the card in the scanner, be sure to be using a 'root' USB on the computer. Not via any hub. Also, very unlikely, but possible is the cord is bad.

Of course, if you have a card reader, try that. If it still errors, reformat the card, (see post here somewhere to do this right). Then, use Sentinel and do a clear user data which writes the necessary files to operate the scanner. Then, reload your favorites.

If still problems, you have a bad SD card. Replace and do the above.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Can you read and write your 436 without errors with Sentinel?

I've also seen USB interruptions occur when other USB devices where added or removed when Sentinel (or EZ-Scan for GRE and Whistler scanners) was writing to the radio.
Sentinel usually handled this much better than EZ-Scan did but it could still be a problem. Try other USB ports if the suggestions from the others do not help.

dpalmer

Are you checking firmware version by Menu > Settings > See Scanner Information > Firmware Version?

I was checking through Sentinel - Update > Update Firmware > Info.

I deleted the file and rebooted the PC, as doctordialtone suggested. When I opened the Firmware folder on the microSD card again (in the scanner, connected with the USB cable), that file was there again! I deleted it again, closed Windows Explorer, opened it again, and it was back! It's like some kind of lame magic trick.

Looking at the microSD card Properties in Windows Explorer, it has plenty of free space. Under the Tools tab I ran Error Checking. It said the drive had errors, so I picked the Repair option. When it finished, that .tmp file wasn't in the Firmware folder anymore. I started the update again, and it finished successfully.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.