Upgrade memory card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profireman

When I copy all files on original MicroSD and move them to new 32GB card, Sentinel nor the scanner will read them

the original card shows as Uniden (ESN 38xxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxx) x= actual numbers.
the new card shows up in sentinel as Uniden (00000-000000000-000)

I can force write to card and it opens with all database and favorite lists from original, but scanner giving me error message and "clear user data to initialize"
which I've tried.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If what is on your original card is the same as whats in sentenal, clear user data then write back to scanner (Or card reader) from sentenal...
The ESN will not show until the scanner boots from the new card.

Profireman

I've done that numerous times, whether I clear user data or not, continues to tell me to "clear user data" when scanner boots up

If I don't "clear user data", card shows as sentinel ESN 0000000000 in sentinel

If I do "clear user data", sentinel cant find the card afterwards.

I've tried 2 different cards a 16 and 32

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have a new card, the scanner serial number is not saved on the card until you turn the scanner off and it says "Writing to SD Card."

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things - if I am not too late to the discussion....

1st - the SD card has to be properly formatted.
A free utility is recommended elsewhere here on RR.

Then, either SD card in the scanner and scanner in mass storage mode, or in a card reader and you initialize the card via Sentinel.
Scanner / Clear User Data.

Profireman

It never gets that far..... SD CARD File Error
Use sentinel clear user data operation to initialize SD card
but will not recognize the card in scanner or go any further in sentinel
I have put out card in a reader and then
I can force write to card and it opens with all database and favorite lists from original, but scanner still giving me error message and "clear user data to initialize" when I reinsert it into scanner

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A little more detail. . .

There are certain files that must be on the SD card in addition to Favorites Lists. These files are installed on the SD card during the "Clear User Data" process. If the scanner does not see these files on the SD card, it returns the error message you received, because the scanner will not function without them. It is along the lines of the old floppy disks and for them to be bootable, certain system files had to be on the disk.

(They probably could have used a better term than "Clear User Data", but it is what it is.)

The Uniden recommended utility to format an SD card is called "SD Formatter" SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC

As noted previously the absence of a volume label/ESN is normal and nothing to worry about.

Profireman

I believe the card is bad, it won't format in windows or SD memory card formatter.
So that leads to me why I'm trying a new card.
the original one says it has 7.8 GB free.
but when I try to record anything, it stops and says memory card full.
it's always worked fine before.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I believe the card is bad, it won't format in windows or SD memory card formatter.

Swap out SD cards, Write to Scanner while it's in the computer. Turn off scanner, swap out cards and clear out all favorite lists and recordings (I bet it shows 1,000 files). Once it's done, Write to Scanner, swap out cards again and see if the problem is fixed.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I do "clear user data", sentinel cant find the card afterwards.

When you format the SD Card, note the associated drive letter. Then start Sentinel and click on Scanner>Clear User Data. When the pop-up window opens, at the very bottom you'll see a check box "Display all drives". Check that, then click on the Drive letter noted from formatting to highlight and select. Then click OK and it should work.

Something has happened to your SD card. They are like car tires, in that they wear out eventually or have the occasional blowout. Even though they were fine just seconds before they went bad (which is case with anything breaking down). Us fire guys can appreciate an old saying: "Things go wrong from time to time. That's why they make fire departments."

Status
Not open for further replies.