BCD436HP/BCD536HP: upgrade to SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinocup

I have read so many reviews like all of us most likely... now I would like to hear from actual owners... I have a 436hp that I can return still.... Trying to justify the additional expense I would incur to get the sds100....

is it worth it?

thank you in advance

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Do it, And keep the 436 as a secondary or backup if you can afford it. I did and don't regret it for a minute.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have read so many reviews like all of us most likely... now I would like to hear from actual owners... I have a 436hp that I can return still.... Trying to justify the additional expense I would incur to get the sds100....

is it worth it?

thank you in advance
If you are in a dense radio environment, with simulcast distortion issues, then my answer would be yes. If you don't have simulcast problems in your area, and none in other areas where you frequently travel for business, pleasure, or visiting family and friends (that you either know of personally, or have seen noted in the forums), then, no, there is not a substantial advantage in the SDS100 versus 436/536HP series scanners.

I have both models. At home, there is no significant difference. I don't have simulcast problems at home on either model series. Simulcast is an issue in certain areas that I travel to or through regularly, and in side by side comparison between the SDS100 and 436HP, same system, exact same antenna, the SDS100 does a better job.

I do like the customizable display of the SDS100 better than the 436HP display.

marksmith

is it worth it?

thank you in advance
If you can only keep one, trade for the sds100. If you can keep both even better.

The sds100 way outperforms the 436 on simulcast systems, but outside of that, the 436 is a very good radio.

Mark
SDS100/536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Trying to justify the additional expense I would incur to get the sds100....
is it worth it?

Ask yourself, does the 436HP do everything you need it to do? Will the SDS100 bring anything to the party? I've yet to see anything the SDS100 does that makes me compelled to run out and spend another $600 on the hobby. It's not that I can't afford it. I just spent a big chunk of change on an ICOM IC-7600 and related items, so money is not an issue.

Should you decide you really need and SDS100 and can't live without it, you can always buy one at that time. It's not you need to buy one now, or miss out on ever owning one in the future.

Tramagod

is it worth it?

thank you in advance

If you can afford it, do it. I have the 536 and got the 100 and haven’t looked back. I still use the 536 at home and use the 100 as my “walk around “ scanner. If you can’t afford to buy the 100 without returning the 436, I’d recommend that as well, the 100 decodes simulcast much better in my opinion, but that again depends on the area you’re in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CQ

is it worth it?

thank you in advance

You can't go wrong with either one you decide on.

Just don't believe the TRX hype.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi tinocup,

I see that you are from my area. I have the BCD536HP, the base/mobile version of the BCD436HP handheld scanner. In my area, I have some simulcast distortion but not to any great extent. So the question is as others have mentioned, are you experiencing simulcast distortion at your location or locations that you may frequent? Aside from a pretty cool display on the new SDS100, there are not any other specs that would "compel" me to purchase the SDS100. That said, once the SDS100's "brother" is available in a base/mobile version, I will revisit the scanner and may get it so that I have two scanners. Decisions, decisions, decisions... LOL! :lol:

I also wanted to say: Welcome to Radio Reference!

Cheers! Dave

Last edited:

safetyobc

I think it just depends on what you are wanting out of the radio. The SDS100 is better at simulcast systems. The screen is AMAZING on the SDS100. My favorite feature of the radio by far. The 436HP is a great radio, don't get me wrong. I own both and have done a review of each (you can check out my video reviews on my YouTube channel linked in my signature if you like). I wouldn't say you were missing out on anything with not having the SDS100 unless you have simulcast system you are wanting to monitor. Good luck with your decision.

TOP2

If you'll on my thread SDS100 phase II you get some good comments on the SDS100 is preforming. Just and FYI for you.
Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
thank you so much for your thoughts....

If you listen to Baltimore City - or particularly Baltimore County - buy the SDS100. Also will perform much better on the state's new Phase 2 system. All of these systems are simulcast 700/800 Motorola systems, and it *seems* that this radio was optimized to receive them.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Do it, And keep the 436 as a secondary or backup if you can afford it. I did and don't regret it for a minute.

What KK4JUG said, upgrade and keep the 436 as a 2nd go-to scanner. I did the same except with TRX-1 and no regrets, either. You will have a solid radio for Phase 1&2 and simulcast digital (sds100), and a solid radio for everything else (436). Sounds like a good pair to me!

JD
kf4anc

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber

is it worth it?

thank you in advance

I am enjoying my SDS100. I don't think there are a lot of simulcast issues in my monitoring area, so difference between SDS100 and 436 is probably a want vs. a need.

But ask yourself which radio will be more future proof and which radio will get the "last" firmware update? My guess is moving forward, there is more "future proofing" in the SDS100 and it will get firmware updates longer that the 436.

SlimPikins

I have both. My local County and City are all on one system. My SDS performs like crap receiving it versus my 436. I believe they are simulcast, radio reference lists it as a Motorola Type II smartzone. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2527

Our State Patrol is mostly what Radio Reference lists it as a P25 Phase 2, and the SDS out performs the 436 by a long shot. So I decided the keeping both is the best thing for my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.