WS1080: Upgraded 668>1080 uP App Version NONE and CPU firmware update times out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sempai

Hi,

I built an honest-to-goodness Windows 10 workstation for radio shenanigans and I had been using Whistler EZ Scan great for a few weeks. Something went weird in the last few days though and I was prompted for an update and I said sure and now it boots to a "CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB" screen.

I pulled one of the batteries out to make it easy to powercycle via the USB cable.

When I run the standalone CPU updater from Whistler, CPUUpdater_WS1080_U4.8, it does see it on COM3 and it also says "hey wow you have no firmware at all that's weird let me fix that" and I say "sure go nuts" and the progress bar makes it all the way to the end and then once the last piece fills in it immediately pops up a modal dialog box "Scanner response timeout!" and my scanner's LCD reads:

uP Boot Ver: 2.0
uP App Ver: None
CPU SW Upgrade:
Upgrading - Wait

and it'll do that for as long as I let it. This is totally repeatable; I've tried it a dozen times today. I even ensured the really-bad-idea-Whistler-needs-security-engineering-team-allow-unsigned-drivers was enabled, and that the Whistler COM port name is correct (Whistler WS1080 Serial Device (COM3)) and I even tweaked a few options in there (changed baud rate from 9600 to 4800 to 57.6 and back to 9600, then changed buffer sizes down to whatever "4" correlates to) with no apparent change.

Sometimes under some circumstances like if I initiate the update from inside EzScan it ends up the same but one of the photos I took today was with the LCD readout saying "CPU SW Upgrade: Error - Turn Off" and then after restarting it that's when it started saying there was no CPU firmware installed.

It says "waiting for USB" when idle and then will hang out with "Upgrading - Wait" and I don't know what I'm missing.

My radio workstation is running Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044.

thanks for reading, hope someone can help me get back on the air!

sempai

🤦 I've done this over a dozen times today but initiating the CPU firmware update from EzScan worked for some inexplicable reason after a day of failing. very weird.

CycleSycho

:eek: This one is a new one. Are you saying it is working now? Hope so, I have not seen anything like this, and would have no suggestion for you that you haven't tried. Hope your scanner is back! :eek:

sempai

Well the firmware update finally happened but copying from the radio is failing because EzScan is having a hard time deleting files for some reason :rolleyes: not even sure how to troubleshoot this when I can't configure EzScan to use a specific directory other than the one it creates for itself. Very frustrating.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 19.02.20.png is a screenshot.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well the firmware update finally happened but copying from the radio is failing because EzScan is having a hard time deleting files for some reason :rolleyes: not even sure how to troubleshoot this when I can't configure EzScan to use a specific directory other than the one it creates for itself. Very frustrating.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 19.02.20.png is a screenshot.
This sounds like a permissions issue possibly.
When starting the WS1080 EZ Scan program, right click the icon and select "Run as Administrator" and see if that allows the program to work correctly.

CycleSycho

:( Dang, I didn't see that the updater you used was the incorrect one. I should have checked that... Sorry sempai. Post 5 (tvengr) links to the correct updater, lets hope that one takes. I read somewhere it could 'brick' it using the wrong version. :(

sempai

no bricking but i was def using the wrong standalone CPU updater so i'm glad it failed all day long i guess! it's been working fine today, sometimes i get an error about deleting a folder or file and i don't know why because it's wide open permissions-wise.

thanks @tvengr for the pointer on that!

CycleSycho

no bricking but i was def using the wrong standalone CPU updater so i'm glad it failed all day long i guess! it's been working fine today, sometimes i get an error about deleting a folder or file and i don't know why because it's wide open permissions-wise.

:) Glad it didn't brick! A suggestion, if you have another micro SD card, use ezscan to prepare it and load your files onto it. Maybe, just maybe, you have something corrupted on the card your using now. Make sure you save everything first, I don't see how you could have corrupted any ezscan files (but) if you did might be a reinstall of ezscan needed if a different card doesn't fix your 'glitch'. Good luck! :)

spacellamaman

well from the viewpoint of risk of bricking the poor thing, i guess i can help you out.

i'll give ya $50 for it, postage paid.

i know, i know, it's not just you. that's why the ladies love me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.