Upgraded wireless HDMI Rx TX antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhernan488

Hey, So i notice a huge difference with radios and scanners if you upgrade the stock antenna, you get better signal.

Would that work the same for wireless HDMI rx tx ? I have the IOGEAR - Wireless HDMI TV Connection Kit. Should I get better antenna for better signal? I can't find what frequency it uses. Anyone know what it might use? Would this even be worth it? Maybe use an all band antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

5.8GHz.

These devices operate under the FCC Part 15 rules. Those rules say that the devices are supposed to be designed in such a way that they can only be operated with the supplied antennas. At one point that was 'special' RF connectors, often a reverse polarity type. Reverse polarity connectors and adapters are readily available.
However, if you want to stick to the FCC rules (and you should) it would violate the Part 15 rules to put different antennas on them to increase the radiated power.

15.204 specifically says:
(c) An intentional radiator may be operated only with the antenna with which it is authorized.

I'll let you read the rest:

But, if you had a higher gain 5.8GHz antenna and you had all the right connectors, you could extend the range of one of these. At some point you'd have to go to a directional antenna to get more gain, and then it becomes a very narrow point to point setup with limited usage for most.

Status
Not open for further replies.