Upgrading firmware for BCD536HP and Dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrasports

When upgrading firmware for both the BCD536HP AND the dongle do you use sentinel? When I go to Update at sentinel it say "Update Firmware" and it says "Update Master HPDB"? Is this where you go to upgrade both the scanner and dongle?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No.

Sentinel is used to update the scanner firmware. Update>Update Firmware

The Update>Update Master HPDB updates the full database as seen by Sentinel. When you do this, your computer contacts the Uniden Server and downloads the latest database. After doing so, you would need to do a "Write to Scanner" to transfer the full database in Sentinel to your scanner.

Updating the dongle firmware is a different process entirely and does not involve Sentinel. See this link for the instructions and how to download dongle firmware:BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

K4DPS has created an excellent video on updating dongle firmware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tERa0hRe59I

Fortunately updating the dongle is a one-time effort. Scanner firmware updates happen infrequently - perhaps once or twice per year or if you upgrade to DMR o ProVoice.

HP Database updates are weekly, however you don't have to do so each week - just when desired. (About the only time I update the full database is just before a trip or if there have been some significant changes in my area.)

Last edited:

hydrasports

The Update>Update Master HPDB updates the full database as seen by Sentinel. When you do this, your computer contacts the Uniden Server and downloads the latest database. After doing so, you would need to do a "Write to Scanner" to transfer the full database in Sentinel to your scanner.

When you do this process does the scanner need to be plugged into your computer or can you update this without connecting the scanner and then update the updated database to the scanner later. I would imagine after you do this you would have to update your favorites as well to make sure they have all the newest frequencies updated?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can update the Sentinel without the scanner being connected. You can write the updated database to the scanner any time later, but when you do, the scanner has to be connected to the computer. (Or you could remove the SD card from the scanner, and use a card reader on your computer to do this.)

"Wholesale" updating of Favorites Lists pursuant to a database update is probably infrequent. Most of the time systems are fairly consistent, with only new channels being added upon rare occasion. My experience is that I manually update Favorites Lists if there are new channels or changed channels. That's because so few channels are involved.

hydrasports

No.

Sentinel is used to update the scanner firmware. Update>Update Firmware

Updating the dongle firmware is a different process entirely and does not involve Sentinel. See this link for the instructions and how to download dongle firmware:BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Is there a way to know if these have been updated from the last time you updated them or is it something you just do once a year?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Updating the dongle firmware is a one time thing. If there is a dongle firmware update, I'm sure there will be lots of conversations about it in this forum.

When you connect your scanner to your computer and in Sentinel you go to Update>Update Firmware, Sentinel looks at the firmware version in your scanner, then compares it to the version on the Uniden server.

If there is a more recent firmware available, the newer firmware will be written to your scanner. You will see some prompts on what to do after that download.

If the firmware is up to date, a message will appear on your computer screen that you have the latest firmware.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Updating the dongle firmware is a one time thing. If there is a dongle firmware update, I'm sure there will be lots of conversations about it in this forum.
Updating firmware for your Dongle is done at the same time (automatic) as regular firmware updates...No need to do anything extra....Early versions of Sentinel you did....

hydrasports

When I go to update my dongle, I can do that in sentinel with the upgrade section? Do I need to have the dongle plugged into the scanner in order to update it? Can I then disconnect the dongle is I wish not to use the wifi option and will it keep the updated version stored?

Status
Not open for further replies.