upgrading my handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern

I,ve had pro-2020,pro-30 and now have pro-162.With all the new systems out there i want to upgrade to digital.Now obviously interested in p25 & beyond for future considerations.Money is not an option(within reason)so i want to get the best bang for my buck.Am considering the psr-500 or psr-800.I dont like the fact that i cant directly punch in a freq on the 800 but also the 500 doesnt come p25 type ll feature.Is there a better choice out there or is one of these the better one.Which one.
Thx:ERN

scannersnstuff

currently the only option with phase II is the psr-800. the newer 800/700/hp-1 are really not my personal preference in portable scanner's. the inability to quickly program on the fly is one of the paramount reason's. i would wait and see what's around the corner from gre or uniden. if you can't wait that long, and can do without phase II, i would go with the bcd396xt. but again, i would wait.

ern

upgrading scanner

thx...this is my concern..is programming on the fly as i would be totaly portable and dont want to have to pc it up to input a freq in a pinch.
again thx much.
Ern

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You can search and store frequencies into the PSR-800 without a PC.

Yep, you don't need a pc to program the psr-500 or pro-106 either, if you understand what you're doing. :)

n9zas

scannersnstuff

Yep, you don't need a pc to program the psr-500 or pro-106 either, if you understand what you're doing. :)

n9zas

don't get the statement. i understand that you can program both without a pc. it was my understanding that you needed a computer to overide the channel;'s you had put in ?.

the other part. you may be able to "search and store" a frequency. however, say that you're out somewhere in town. you know your pd use's 154.725 <example> as a tac.fq., it isn't listed on the radio's sd card. you want to throw it in, and give it a listen. you cannot do that without a pc, or them transmitting. correct ?.

Last edited by a moderator:

gewecke

Banned
I don't know if that's possible on the psr 800, but it IS on the psr 500,600, and pro-106, 197 simply by PROG, FUNC, and DEL

n9zas

scannersnstuff

thank you geweke, it is possible that i need to sit down and concentrate on using my psr-5 00. i never even put a trunked system in. although i do like my 500, i prefer to use my bcd396xt.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
PSR-800... Limit the search for what you are looking for. When you get a hit, pause and store it in the scanlist of your choice.

ern

I know you can programme without a pc.My concern is if i pick-up a new freq with a freq counter(for ex:)i want to be able to input it imediately.With the 800 thats not possible unless i have a labtop with me.Concealling the scanner(in some cases)is enough i dont want to lug around a labtop.Yo technically could input the freq by way of quick search in the approx freq area but to time consuming and by the time you do,you have missed the conversation.

ern

exactly limit your search then when it hits on the one you want ..store it ..its in there.Now you,ve missed a potenial important piece of information after1-3 mins of finding,storing,listening.Defeats the purpose of the scanner.

gewecke

Banned
thank you geweke, it is possible that i need to sit down and concentrate on using my psr-5 00. i never even put a trunked system in. although i do like my 500, i prefer to use my bcd396xt.

You might find that when monitoring a trunked system, the psr-500 has better clarity than the 396. ;) Just Fyi.

n9zas

W6KRU

You might find that when monitoring a trunked system, the psr-500 has better clarity than the 396. ;) Just Fyi.

n9zas

Absolutely! My 396XT frequently spews unintelligible garbage audio while my PSR-500 is faithfully producing nice clear audio when they are sitting right beside each other and monitoring the same system.

ern

upgrading handheld

Thx everyone for giving me your personal beliefs and experiences.Spending 5-7 hundred bucks on a new scanner is kinda nerve racking.With all the potential products out there i want to get the most updated product available and know my money is well spent.This site is deffinately a wealth of information and priceless for a newbie or someone looking to upgrade.Once again Thx to everyone for your input and look forward to reading about more experiences and opinions.

Ern

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
HomePatrol with the Extreme Upgrade allows you to input your own frequencies but not as easily as a Pro-106 or PSR-500.

scannersnstuff

ok, i figured out what i was talking about with the psr-500. you can easily delete a channel. if you want to reuse a channel number, i believe you have to reinstate it with a computer. when you delete a channel, it take's the channel number with it. then when you go to program another channel into the same bank, it goes to the next available channel number. not in sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.