• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Upgrading XTS5000 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyundaibus

I am looking to upgrade my Motorola XTS5000 firmware (HOST/DSP). I have an MOL account and can buy CPS from it. Where can I find upgrade? If it can be purchased from MOL, what's the part number? Any help would be appreciated.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Contact either your local Motorola MSS or Account Manager. It is a special order and can't be done through MOL, or at least I have never heard of anyone being able to do that.

One thing they will probably ask for is the serial # and it needs to be a valid one if requested.

Other option is to send it to depot and they will do it, buts much more expensive that way.

Mark

immelmen

even if you could order it yourself, dont. Have the local MSS do it as it is possible to destroy the radio during the process. I just had a lift done on one of my xts3k's at the local Moto shop and the process bricked the radio. they put it straight into a box and off to the depot free of charge. Got it back a couple weeks later with the latest and greatest everything.

N1GTL

Database Admin
You need a firmware flasher from /\/\. It is not like firmware updates for HT1250's and CP200's. They charge you per radio. I am guessing the $80 range. It is done through CPS. (tools> flashport> upgrade radio). I have bricked a few too, it is not as stable as CDM's, HT's and the like.

XTS3000

even if you could order it yourself, dont. Have the local MSS do it as it is possible to destroy the radio during the process. I just had a lift done on one of my xts3k's at the local Moto shop and the process bricked the radio. they put it straight into a box and off to the depot free of charge. Got it back a couple weeks later with the latest and greatest everything.

It amaizes me how many people brick their radios! What are you all doing wrong?? I have upgraded at least 50 XTS5000 without bricking one. I've purposly ripped the cable off a XTS5000 during upgrading the host/dsp, and was able to reflash the radio and bring it back to life. Only way to brick a 5K is to wait for the flash to erase, and rip the cable off the radio immediately after the flash is erased.

3K's are the easiest to recover from a failed firmware load. The bootloader doesn't even have to be in the radio to flash it! I'd seriously reconsider bringing a radio to that Motorola shop who couldn't recover the 3K from a failed flash. If they can't recover a simple failed flash, that speaks volumes for their abilities. Yikes

Good luck

immelmen

It amaizes me how many people brick their radios! What are you all doing wrong?? I have upgraded at least 50 XTS5000 without bricking one. I've purposly ripped the cable off a XTS5000 during upgrading the host/dsp, and was able to reflash the radio and bring it back to life. Only way to brick a 5K is to wait for the flash to erase, and rip the cable off the radio immediately after the flash is erased.

3K's are the easiest to recover from a failed firmware load. The bootloader doesn't even have to be in the radio to flash it! I'd seriously reconsider bringing a radio to that Motorola shop who couldn't recover the 3K from a failed flash. If they can't recover a simple failed flash, that speaks volumes for their abilities. Yikes

Good luck

first off, the folks at my Moto shop are great. well, I stood there and watched them do it. no cables removed, it just took FAR to long and eventually came up with a "unable to communicate with radio" error. after which it was completely dead...the radio would not even turn on.... the computer/smartrib could not even tell there was a radio attached to it on subsequent attempts to bring it back to life.
Have you revive a radio if its "not there" to the system, if you have been successful with a situation like this please share how you fixed it.

I watched it done with the same equipment to other 3000s immediately before and after my radio, so it was not their computers problem...maybe it was my radio.
anyway, i got a radio back from the depot with a new vocoder, latests DSP and a new case...nothing cost me a dime

That sounds like pretty good customer service to me.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've seen software bugs that would brick every tenth radio, unless the pc was rebooted. So, we'd flash 8 with no problem, reboot, flash 8 more, reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.