Upgrading

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
Is it in anyway possible that you can upgrade a RadioShack pro 197 to p25 phase 2 if not I’ll just buy a uniden bearcat BCD436HP

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is it in anyway possible that you can upgrade a RadioShack pro 197 to p25 phase 2 if not I’ll just buy a uniden bearcat BCD436HP
No, that's not possible.

It's also not possible on any of the other scanners, regardless of brand, that were only capable of P25 Phase I.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

You can buy what ever you want but since you were asked to link the sites you wish to monitor, and have not done so as of yet, there is really no way of knowing if the 436 will do you any good. Some people have had good luck and some have not.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
If I were you, I would post a request for help in the SA area on the Texas forum....don't move this thread, start anew. There are a lot of scanner users down that way that can help you with specifics. Even those of us "up north" can provide help if we know just what you want to listen to...
The 436HP is a good scanner...but if you're systems are Phase 2 it may or may not work. That is why before shelling out big bucks for a SDS100/200 it's good to get specific advise for your area.
They are much easier to program with software...trust us, we've all been thru it.

SA_tx_88116

You can buy what ever you want but since you were asked to link the sites you wish to monitor, and have not done so as of yet, there is really no way of knowing if the 436 will do you any good. Some people have had good luck and some have not.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.png
    IMG_0205.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 10

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Ok, you want that system. It has about 40 sites. What sites on that system would you monitor?
Assuming he's in San Antonio, likely the Live Oak site, which is simulcast. The SDS is likely his only option for receiving the LCRA unless he's lucky and is in an area with little distortion. It's only a two site simulcast. Of course, I could be wrong, but the Live Oak Simulcast is the closest to him.

SA_tx_88116

I understand I cannot listen to p25 phase 2 until I get a new scanner I would like to apologize for confusion and I finally understand how trunking works thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I understand I cannot listen to p25 phase 2 until I get a new scanner I would like to apologize for confusion and I finally understand how trunking works thank you
I don't know if you've seen this before, but this Wiki page might give you a little better understanding of how Trunking works.

N8IAA

Site 131 on LCRA. No simulcast.
If you have a Phase I scanner, you can hear your city. You'll need a Phase II scanner to monitor FD.

N8IAA

What do you mean by that I can hear my city
It means that you can monitor PD and other city comms. I was wrong about FD. There are a couple of TGID's that can be heard also.
Check the database here on RR to see what can and can't be monitored.
You might also want to click on the bottom left corner to ask that this thread be moved to the Texas state forum for better answers. I'm just going by what is in that database.

SA_tx_88116

It means that you can monitor PD and other city comms. I was wrong about FD. There are a couple of TGID's that can be heard also.
Check the database here on RR to see what can and can't be monitored.
You might also want to click on the bottom left corner to ask that this thread be moved to the Texas state forum for better answers. I'm just going by what is in that database.

Ok I will check it out