BCD396T/BC996T: Upload Issue With Freescan or BCD396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Hello, got lucky (I think) and got a ‘NOS’ BCD396T for under a $100.00.
Have programmed BCD396XT, BCD996XT, BCD352P2 & BCD996P2
with absolutely no problems at all using Freescan, Windows 7 Pro. While
uploading to the unit it slows down to an extremely slow crawl and at times
stops before the finish. The unit does work just fine with the program data
it did upload. Downloading from the unit is the correct speed from beginning
to end. Any thoughts would be much appreciated… Craig

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, got lucky (I think) and got a ‘NOS’ BCD396T for under a $100.00.
Have programmed BCD396XT, BCD996XT, BCD352P2 & BCD996P2
with absolutely no problems at all using Freescan, Windows 7 Pro. While
uploading to the unit it slows down to an extremely slow crawl and at times
stops before the finish. The unit does work just fine with the program data
it did upload. Downloading from the unit is the correct speed from beginning
to end. Any thoughts would be much appreciated… Craig
Remember that the data limits for the 396T are much lower than for the other scanners you list. (Limits for the 396XT are the same as for the 996XT & pp6P2, as well as the 325P2)

For the 396XT, you have up to 25,000 channels to use; for the 396T, that figure is 6000.
The 396XT can have up to 500 systems, versus 400 for the 396T.
For the 396XT, up to 500 talkgroups per system; that limit is only 200 for the 396T.

Also, if you have your 396XT (or 996XT, 325P2, or 996P2) set up with more than one site in a trunked system, when FreeSCAN tries to load that into the 396T, it breaks each site into a separate system, duplicating your talkgroups in each one.

Depending on exactly what you have in the file you are attempting to load in the 396T, it would be easy to have too many entries to fit into the 396Ts memory.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to both! 1st, I wrote (or adjusted) the program for the BCD396T
to conform to the proper perimeters. 2nd, I 'do not' have the latest
firmware as I am waiting for the proper power adapter to arrive which
I have ordered. (didn't come with one) That could possibly be the
problem. Still seems odd? Thanks again.....

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Even when you are all setup on the 396T, uploading speed goes to a crawl when its doing any kind of trunking systems. When it comes to regular discrete, conventional frequencies its just as fast as your other models.
Add on to differences is that you cant set a priority on trunking talkgroups, it will show as a P in the display if done in freescan, but it wont work as a priority.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Ironically, I created a 396T file to load for a quick trip we made to Hudsonville on Saturday. It does take quite a while to erse the old data and upload the new data in Freescan. Other programs are not much better. It took over and hour as I recall.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
To Einstein, thanks for the spelling correction-jeez…

I don’t program a priority and I always start with
nothing programmed in the scanner. So let me be
clear N9JCQ, are you saying this is ‘normal for
the BCD396T?, and it will always upload to the
scanner extremely slow and sometimes just stop?
Been doing this an awful long time and never had
this issue but then again never had a BCD396T either….

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
All I can tell you Craigmoe, is that it does take a long time. Sometimes it appears to stop. As an example, when I went to wipe out the Hudsonville profile from the 396T on Sunday and Load my Chicago area profile, it took well over 1 1/2 hours complete. I don't have the newest laptop in the world so that may account for part of it. Unless the software gives a "Times out" message, its likely still loading.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
To Einstein, thanks for the spelling correction-jeez…

I don’t program a priority and I always start with
nothing programmed in the scanner. So let me be
clear N9JCQ, are you saying this is ‘normal for
the BCD396T?, and it will always upload to the
scanner extremely slow and sometimes just stop?
Been doing this an awful long time and never had
this issue but then again never had a BCD396T either….
When FreeSCAN has apparently "quit" loading to the 396T, go to the main menu.
Scroll down and select Settings
Then select "See Scanner Info", then choose Memory. That would give you an indication if it was getting too many systems & channels to successfully load.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I had a BCD396T (2006-2010) programmed with FreeScan. I had over a hundred trunked and conventional systems in it and it never took more then 10 minutes to program using a 2004 Dell desktop. If your unit is NOS it would have the original firmware in it. There may have been a programming issue at one time, which was corrected with one of the firmware updates.

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I had a BCD396T (2006-2010) programmed with FreeScan. I had over a hundred trunked and conventional systems in it and it never took more then 10 minutes to program using a 2004 Dell desktop. If your unit is NOS it would have the original firmware in it. There may have been a programming issue at one time, which was corrected with one of the firmware updates.

My experience with the 396T is the same as yours. I bought it in 2006 too (still running 24/7) so the people getting really slow load times probably have some problems some where. I think that even the slowest laptop should be way faster than the programming rate of even the SDS scanners (which I also own).

I suspect they may have a driver problem with the serial converter chip in the cable between the 396T and computer. Since I am still using Win 7 but will soon have to update to Win 10 I am going to have to get compatible hardware and software for my 396T, 396XT, & 996T.

I already have found out that what I have now that works great will not work in Windows 10, although a few seemed to have got the older chipped cable to work with appropriate software in win 10.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Remember that the data limits for the 396T are much lower than for the other scanners you list. (Limits for the 396XT are the same as for the 996XT & pp6P2, as well as the 325P2)
Also, if you have your 396XT (or 996XT, 325P2, or 996P2) set up with more than one site in a trunked system, when FreeSCAN tries to load that into the 396T, it breaks each site into a separate system, duplicating your talkgroups in each one.

Depending on exactly what you have in the file you are attempting to load in the 396T, it would be easy to have too many entries to fit into the 396Ts memory.

Definitely true, FreeSCAN will break them up because the 396T cannot scan multisite trunked systems so it has to break them up, the 396XT can.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
First of all, thanks for the input & help, but yet another issue. I received the power
supply and updated the firmware to 1.20.13. but to update further I have to
register the unit at my.uniden.com (I do have an account) When trying to register
the BCD396T I select a category, ‘radio scanners’, the site starts to load then reverts
back to select a category. Also, this applies to ‘any’ category I select and have tried
two (2) different computers. Any suggestions in this direction would be much appreciated.

Firmware original: 1.13.17
Now: 1.20.13

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
First of all, thanks for the input & help, but yet another issue. I received the power
supply and updated the firmware to 1.20.13. but to update further I have to
register the unit at my.uniden.com (I do have an account) When trying to register
the BCD396T I select a category, ‘radio scanners’, the site starts to load then reverts
back to select a category. Also, this applies to ‘any’ category I select and have tried
two (2) different computers. Any suggestions in this direction would be much appreciated.

Firmware original: 1.13.17
Now: 1.20.13
Instead of the "Register a Product" link, use the one that says "All My Scanners"
Then, after that page comes up, use the "Register a Product" link.
Make sure that your browser settings are not blocking the update to the registration page.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
I have no 'All My Scanners' link on the page?
Tried to insert a pic of the site but couldn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.